Stephen Fry asseses the SmartPhone market and iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Project, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Project macrumors 68020

http://stephenfry.com/blog/

Im personally blown away by his level of geekness. Im in awe.

But, being Stephen Fry, he also has a wonderful way of getting his point across. Here are some select cuts:

PS, this is a long read.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

christ, he does waffle on a bit that Fry! maybe I'll read it when I'm trying to get to sleep :p

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well at least Apple seem to have the "Luvvies" on side then… :rolleyes:

4. Nutter macrumors 6502

That's rather condescending of you. His piece is in no way superficial; in fact it goes into an almost obsessive level of technical detail. Why exactly is he a "luvvie"?

5. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

Wonderful stuff, he is so eloquent, I could read this all day!

If you don't know, Steven Fry is a British comedian, often likened to a latter day Oscar Wilde, and use to partner Hugh Lawrie when they were a double act.

Lawrie became huge as the doctor in House and cracked the US, similar to how Dudley Moore went to the US and made it big but the real genius, Peter Cook, stayed in the UK.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, it is. :p

Where did I say the piece was superficial? :confused: He is great as a writer/comedian… but as my tech reviewer? I think not.

Sigh… think back… Emma Thompson, Kenneth Branagh, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry… the "original" Luvvies…

Why should the iPhone be "better" now that another "celeb" has endorsed it? :confused: It is still overpriced and under-specced. And no amount of fandom from a "celeb" will change that…

7. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Of course Stephen Fry is a geek, there is no better lovable English toff better suited to hosting the intellectual game show QI (Quite Interesting) and thus he is perfect for reviewing the iPhone. Yes he loves his tangents and metaphors, but he is a comedian at heart and while you may not agree with the review, it makes for fun reading.

8. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

Quite the opposite for me. Clearly he has immense knowledge in the realm of smartphones. Give me this guys analysis over Mobile Reviews 'it takes a second longer to make a call!' nonsense.

9. Source macrumors member

Did you even read the post? He was pretty harsh about the iPhone (such as the virtual keyboard) and Apple - he even said he preferred the Nokia N95 in some ways!

10. headspace macrumors member

Stephen Fry is a long time Apple fan. I've seen interviews with him praising Jonathan Ive, and in his "Secret Life of the Manic Depressive" documentary he's is seen in his office which is full of Macs. Later on he examines his occasional extreme shopping patterns at which point he buys a Mac mini which he admits to not really needing but gets it anyway for being so lovely. At the same point in the programme, he reveals that he owns at least 18 iPods!