Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
http://stephenfry.com/blog/

Im personally blown away by his level of geekness. Im in awe.

But, being Stephen Fry, he also has a wonderful way of getting his point across. Here are some select cuts:

Design matters
By design here, I mean GUI and OS as much as outer case design. Let’s go back to houses. The sixties taught us, surely, that architectural design, commercial and domestic, is not an extra. The office you work in every day, the house you live in every day, they are more than the sum of their functions. We know that sick building syndrome is real, and we know what an insult to the human spirit were some of the monstrosities constructed in past decades. An office with strip lighting, drab carpets, vile partitions and dull furniture and fittings is unacceptable these days, as much perhaps because of the poor productivity it engenders as the assault on dignity it represents. Well, computers and SmartPhones are no less environments: to say “well my WinMob device does all that your iPhone can do” is like saying my Barratt home has got the same number of bedrooms as your Georgian watermill, it’s got a kitchen too, and a bathroom.” … I accept that price is an issue here; if budget is a consideration then you’ll have to forgive me, I’m writing from the privileged position of being able to indulge my taste for these objects. But who can deny that design really matters? Or that good design need not be more expensive? We spend our lives inside the virtual environment of digital platforms - why should a faceless, graceless, styleless nerd or a greedy hog of a corporate **** deny us simplicity, beauty, grace, fun, sexiness, delight, imagination and creative energy in our digital lives? And why should Apple be the only company that sees that? Why don’t the other bastards GET IT??

Let’s look at the WinMob now. The HTC Touch is called (by idiots) an iPhone killer because it comes without a keyboard and makes a brief and rather feeble nod towards the idea of a strokeably operated touch-screen offering a silly cube transformation effect with big buttons. Oh, and the Touch is WinMob 6 rather than 5 (you won’t notice the difference - a quite cool coloured line fribble in the agenda which shows you which days of the week are busy is the best addition, otherwise it’s virtually indistinguishable from WM5).

You’re only on this planet once – do something extraordinary, imaginative and inspiring. That’s the difference, ultimately. Those behind Palm OS and the Psion can justifiably be proud of what they did, what they created. WinMob just muscled in on a market they never spotted and they did it in a clumsy, bullying, ugly manner, exactly as they had with Windows before, and exactly as IBM had with the PC itself a decade earlier. Break free, all you corporate software engineers and designers: the excuse that you are under the rule of dullards, greedy share-price number crunchers and visually and ergonomically illiterate yahoos is not good enough. Persuade them. Otherwise we all get a digital environment that’s a vile as a 60s housing estate.

AND THERE’S NO OFFLINE MODE!!!! A SmartPhone that insists you have a SIM card in at all times? Just bugger off Sony Ericsson, you’ve lost my respect. You’ve had thousands of pounds out of me in the past. But stick to student mobile phones called Kxxx with crap silly little jukeboxes on them, SmartPhones are out of your league. If you’re going to use UIQ, then take a leaf out of Motorola’s book and apply it (in a newer version, Symbian 9.2, UIQ 3.1) to a teen phone, like the excellent new Z8. Either that or do the real design work and make a proper SmartPhone, not this insulting halfway house. As it stands, the P990i is a better phone that this P1i - it has all the same faults, but at least its double action transformer style flip makes it more usable.

“Please Steve Jobs. Eat us for breakfast. Make us look slow-witted, clumsy, unimaginative, grey and idiotic. Help yourself to the entire market that isn’t Blackberry, we don’t want it. We’d rather make toys for children and knock-off Macbooks for credulous adults. And somebody might buy the P1i if they want a slow, joyless experience. You never know. And anyway Apple cheat by having better products, which is unfair. We were once Sony. Goodbye cruel world.”

I could scream with vexation. This truly is NOT WHAT I WANTED. I don’t know how many times I have to say this for you to believe me, but I want iPhone killers. HTC haven’t done it, Sony Ericsson have rolled over and asked to be kicked and shagged roughly, so what of the Big Finn? What of Nokia.

But that’s about it. Everything else in the iPhone lives up to, even surpasses the hype. Another triumph for Jonathan Ive and his design team, Apple have made a wholly desirable and beautiful object. Only a cross and silly person would pretend to be unimpressed or make claims of parity about their O2 xda Trion or similar lumpen beast.

PS, this is a long read.

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
Wonderful stuff, he is so eloquent, I could read this all day!

If you don't know, Steven Fry is a British comedian, often likened to a latter day Oscar Wilde, and use to partner Hugh Lawrie when they were a double act.

Lawrie became huge as the doctor in House and cracked the US, similar to how Dudley Moore went to the US and made it big but the real genius, Peter Cook, stayed in the UK.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
That's rather condescending of you.
Yes, it is. :p

His piece is in no way superficial
Where did I say the piece was superficial? :confused: He is great as a writer/comedian… but as my tech reviewer? I think not.

Why exactly is he a "luvvie"?
Sigh… think back… Emma Thompson, Kenneth Branagh, Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry… the "original" Luvvies…

Why should the iPhone be "better" now that another "celeb" has endorsed it? :confused: It is still overpriced and under-specced. And no amount of fandom from a "celeb" will change that…

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
Of course Stephen Fry is a geek, there is no better lovable English toff better suited to hosting the intellectual game show QI (Quite Interesting) and thus he is perfect for reviewing the iPhone. Yes he loves his tangents and metaphors, but he is a comedian at heart and while you may not agree with the review, it makes for fun reading.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
He is great as a writer/comedian… but as my tech reviewer? I think not.

Quite the opposite for me. Clearly he has immense knowledge in the realm of smartphones. Give me this guys analysis over Mobile Reviews 'it takes a second longer to make a call!' nonsense.

Source

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
Why should the iPhone be "better" now that another "celeb" has endorsed it? :confused: It is still overpriced and under-specced. And no amount of fandom from a "celeb" will change that…

Did you even read the post? He was pretty harsh about the iPhone (such as the virtual keyboard) and Apple - he even said he preferred the Nokia N95 in some ways!

headspace

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2005
Stephen Fry is a long time Apple fan. I've seen interviews with him praising Jonathan Ive, and in his "Secret Life of the Manic Depressive" documentary he's is seen in his office which is full of Macs. Later on he examines his occasional extreme shopping patterns at which point he buys a Mac mini which he admits to not really needing but gets it anyway for being so lovely. At the same point in the programme, he reveals that he owns at least 18 iPods!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.