Stephen Furst (Vir on Babylon 5) dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sad news. Especially since he joins fellow cast members Michael O'Hare, Richard Biggs, Andreas Katsulas, Jerry Doyle and Jeff Conaway. That's a high attrition rate for a show that was on in the '90s.

Vir was one of the show's moral centers. And he got what was probably the best line in the entire show:

Mr. Morden: What do YOU want?
    Ambassador Vir Cotto: I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave like this.
    [waves]
    Ambassador Vir Cotto: Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
    RIP, Stephen, and thanks for the memories.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

awwh man. I love B5. Developed a lot of respect for Vir too... he never wavered morally or loyally even when Londo lead him into a lot of trouble. :(

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Another of Furst's (and the series') best scenes:

4. MachCrit macrumors member

MachCrit

Furst broke out playing "Flounder" on Animal House with John Belushi. Magnificent performance that launched his career.

Died of complications from diabetes. Nice guy who deserved a long, peaceful life.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

About Steve - around the time Steve's career jumped up, he worked as a waiter in a pizza joint in Hollywood. He was well liked by the off beat crowd that hung out (including Ed Wood during his last years). Steve was not only a great waiter but a genuinely nice guy and very funny. That laugh he has (see Animal House) is his real laugh and was amazingly infectious. He would tell a joke, laugh at himself and before you know it, everyone else was laughing. This is the Steve I will remember and it saddens me to see him go so early.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

RIP. I didn't realize so many of the cast had already passed away :(

7. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

One of my favorite moments, on a show that had many to choose from. I always loved the way his name sounded when Lando rolled it off his tongue... "Veer-r-r-r-uh" (and the interplay between Lando and G'Kar over the whole series). I liked the way that even characters that were nominally secretaries/aides were complicated (and the way that little details from earlier seasons took on new import as time passed). As I recall, Vir finally did get to see Mr. Morden's head on a pike, far down the road. He will be missed.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sad news indeed; I hadn't realised that so many of the cast had passed away, either.

9. MachCrit macrumors member

MachCrit