Stephen Furst (Vir on Babylon 5) dies

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Sad news. Especially since he joins fellow cast members Michael O'Hare, Richard Biggs, Andreas Katsulas, Jerry Doyle and Jeff Conaway. That's a high attrition rate for a show that was on in the '90s.

Vir was one of the show's moral centers. And he got what was probably the best line in the entire show:

Mr. Morden: What do YOU want?
Ambassador Vir Cotto: I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave like this.
[waves]
Ambassador Vir Cotto: Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
RIP, Stephen, and thanks for the memories.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
awwh man. I love B5. Developed a lot of respect for Vir too... he never wavered morally or loyally even when Londo lead him into a lot of trouble. :(

phrehdd

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2008
About Steve - around the time Steve's career jumped up, he worked as a waiter in a pizza joint in Hollywood. He was well liked by the off beat crowd that hung out (including Ed Wood during his last years). Steve was not only a great waiter but a genuinely nice guy and very funny. That laugh he has (see Animal House) is his real laugh and was amazingly infectious. He would tell a joke, laugh at himself and before you know it, everyone else was laughing. This is the Steve I will remember and it saddens me to see him go so early.

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Mr. Morden: What do YOU want?
Ambassador Vir Cotto: I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave like this.
[waves]
Ambassador Vir Cotto: Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
One of my favorite moments, on a show that had many to choose from. I always loved the way his name sounded when Lando rolled it off his tongue... "Veer-r-r-r-uh" (and the interplay between Lando and G'Kar over the whole series). I liked the way that even characters that were nominally secretaries/aides were complicated (and the way that little details from earlier seasons took on new import as time passed). As I recall, Vir finally did get to see Mr. Morden's head on a pike, far down the road. He will be missed.