Stepmother started drinking again

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joepunk, Mar 22, 2008.

1. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Back story: She gets into drinking when she worries about many things such as recently her daughter (and the grandkids) moved to Alaska to see about going to University there. She also takes some meds for nightmares that can occur. Unfortunately, alcohol and meds don't mix.

Last Thanksgiving she overdosed on her meds and consumed wine. Very bad situation especially around the grandkids.

There have been a few other incidences like one in Europe two years ago.

Well, the family had hoped that the fact that she screwed up in-front of the grandkids would have sealed the deal and she cosigned a letter stating no more drinking. Lasted for about several months. She has talked about why she has nightmares and depression to doctors.

And now my father recently found several empty bottles hidden and he confronted her. She stated that they were from last year. IMO no one keeps such bottles hidden for a long time like that.

He suspected that she might have had a few drinks because she was worried about her daughter/grandkids move to Alaska. And of course the pills and drinks mixed quite possibly led to the nightmares.

She does not like those group meetings as listening about other peoples problems on a constant bases depresses her. So pretty much no AA meetings for her. She has thankfully admitted that she has started drinking a little again to her doctors.

There is not much I can do directly as I am 3000 miles away for the next month.

Well, it's nice to get this out and about instead of letting it all boil inside of me.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Get her started on smoothies and pure fruit juices.

3. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Wow, after all that, I can't believe she would start drinking again! Alcoholism is really one of the worst addictions out there. BTW, I'm moving to Alaska for University as well! Fairbanks, where are they going?

4. joepunk thread starter macrumors 68030

joepunk

:D I'll tell them to dig out the blender
    Well, that's another story. She abused her stay with her brother too much and had to return to Vancouver WA. Also husband would have lost his Coast Guard medical disability pay IIRC if they left WA State. She would have been going to Fairbanks. The young ones did not like the weather (too cold).