Stepping up for fall quarter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crewchief227, Aug 31, 2014.

1. crewchief227 macrumors newbie

Hi I am an engineering/art college student and currently I have a 3 month old 13" rMBP with 8/256 haswell. I am thinking of selling my current pro to my parents for $1000 (give them a hell of family discount) and stepping up to the 15". I know that Apple doubled the ram on base model pro's and I am hoping that this is the last update for awhile. Do you think I'm safe buying in two weeks that their won't be any upgrades for awhile. I am already running Yosemite and will be using for school and photoshop.

2. johnnnw, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

The Apple hardware event is Sept 9th. That is in 9 days. Wait until after then.

There may not be any Macs discussed then but who knows what Apple will do. Maybe there will be a refresh.

3. Angriff macrumors member

The education sale also ends the 9th. They aren't changing MacBook Pros any time soon, they were just updated last month. It won't be until Broadwell is available mid-way through 2015 or later that we'll see updates to the rMBP. There is no reason not to buy now if you are in the market for a 15" rMBP.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Yeah, forgot about the education discount.

Nevermind :)

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Consider that you can sometimes find better deals that an ed or business discount. Those discounts are off list prices and you typically have to pay sales tax if you purchase from Apple.

If you purchase from an online retailer you will save sales tax (unless they have a presence in your state), and they usually have prices below the list price.

Always check the AppleInsider price list before making a purchase. A few weeks ago I got my rMBP for $600 off and with free AppleCare. Refurbed ones with the same config from Apple are $100 more, no free AppleCare, and you pay sales tax.

6. crewchief227 thread starter macrumors newbie

I usually go through Best Buy they have a $150 off coupon for students after their sale of $100 off. So that is $250 off. I know Apple is offering that $100 iTunes store card or whatever but that really doesn't float my boat too much.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That is for iPhones. Apple won't be releasing anything for Macs then, especially since Broadwell isn't even out yet, i.e., nothing to release thanks to Intel.

----------

Yes, you're safe. With the minor spec bump out the way, Apple is now in the waiting game for the Broadwell chipset, which is expected sometime in 2015.

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Read this specially post number #13

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1770270