Steps are way way off, counts driving, eating, weightlifting etc....

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by betabeta, Apr 29, 2015.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Got to be a way with the accelerometer to figure out I'm sitting down eating, or when I'm just doing weightlifting, squats, or toe raises.

It should be able to figure certain motions are clearly not walking.

It's still gen one so hopefully these are just bugs, but you would think after all the time testing it would be somewhat better.

Also I went into the Health app clicked on steps then on share and moved the iPhone to the top position so when I carry my phone it uses that data first, still not great.

Well at first I thought dang, I really walk a lot:D

2. cruzmisl macrumors regular

These things are calibrated to cover very generic forms of activity. It is an accelerometer, not a magic sensor.

3. bob24 macrumors 6502

As long as you always keep it in your pockets, an iPhone is actually better located to count your steps (you are moving you arms to do many things aside from walking/running ... you legs not so much).

4. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

I am also very disappointed about this; I do expect a bracelet with an accelerometer to not be great at steps counting (we have plenty of examples out there); However, by design, the Watch requires the iPhone, i.e. both should work together and leverage multiple accelerometers on wrist and in pocket, barometers, GPS, etc... to be more accurate than just the activity band alone.

Unfortunately this thing is less accurate than a $30 activity band, very disappointing. I just got more calories driving my car for 30 minutes, than cutting three large trees in my yard for a few hours...

5. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, together they should work even better, but by default it uses the watch for steps, did you check the health app? You can set it to use the iPhone data first. Click on steps, in dashboard and then share, if you click edit you can move your iPhone to the top.

6. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I'm struggling with the indoor run (treadmill) option. This morning for the first time, I wore my Apple Watch and selected indoor run. The metrics were way off. I ran 2 miles per my watch and the treadmill showed almost 2.4mi, am I missing something?

When I am weightlifting, should I run the activity app or not?

7. wepiii macrumors 6502

For those having problems, especially if counting while driving, what are your settings>privacy>location>system services set to? I turned all mine back on and have noticed a vast improvement in accuracy...

[​IMG]

8. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

Good to know, but one of the reason to get the Watch was precisely to use it as a primary step counter, since I often leave my phone on my desk or counter or whatever when at home and moving around the house

9. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

You and me both, one of the big reasons I got it. But I find its way better after moving the phone to the top as the primary, I still get steps counted when walk without the phone from the watch.

So I am still scratching my head why they put the watch as default? There is no benefit from that at all as far as I can see, it's way more accurate with the phone as default.

10. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

ok, thanks; I'll give that a try

11. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Did you calibrate your watch?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

12. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

Generally speaking the tracker on the iPhone is more accurate than a tracker on the wrist.

I did a test with my Withings Activite, FitBit Flex, and my iPhone. I logged all three for thirteen days. I found out that on average the FitBit Flex was the most optimistic (avg. 8526 steps), followed by the Withings (avg. 6784 steps), followed by the iPhone 6 (avg. 6585 steps). I always wear my iPhone in holster on my hip and only remove it when I come home. The Withings and Flex I wore on my right hand.

Over a longer period of time (since Feb 10), I tested the Activite and iPhone 6 only. I put the watch on my left wrist (the dominant wrist, i am left handed) and the iPhone on my hip. Until yesterday the avg. for the Activite was 5801 steps and the iPhone 5595 steps; a difference of 206 steps. Since I moved the watch to my left hand it has been more consistent than wearing it on my right hand.

My advice to those who are finding a large difference between the watch tracker and the iPhone tracker is to try and move the tracker from the non-dominant hand to the dominant hand and see if that closes the gap between them. Another approach is to see if the tracker allows you to set the length of your step. This will make the tracker's distance logging more accurate. My Activite does not allow for this but my Fitbit does. I have contacted Withings and they tell me that a future firmware update will allow users to do that.

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

it's the motion calibration and distance one that does it, but note to others it will also drain your battery much faster.

14. wepiii macrumors 6502

I'm not really experiencing any notable battery drain on 8.3 even with it on. I think the calibration link that was posted above makes a lot of sense as well

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

always?

if you always used to have it on, then you wouldn't notice any difference.

When It's on, my phone can lose 3-5% an hour, (which doesn't sound too bad) but when it's OFF I'm down to 1% or less when not being used.

16. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

granted i've only had the watch for 2 days.... but i've found the steps (so far) to be WAY off compared to my fitbit one.

just this morning between my workout and getting ready for work there was already at 1500 difference between the watch and fitbit one. (watch was higher)

i'm really bummed about this cuz one of the reasons i wanted the apple watch was for all day long fitness tracking.

heck... even the calories during a workout (the two i've done since having the watch) are WAY off compared to my polar HRM. :eek:

i had planned to just use the apple watch for workouts if it was even close... but it's not... not even close at.all!

17. wepiii macrumors 6502

I didn't have it on, I had every one of them turned off, and only turned them on when I received my watch so I wouldn't miss any features. I'll probably turn a few of them back off at some point, but I will keep the motion calibration on.