Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cadiboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Earth
Hi All,

I've an XServe placed on a VLAN within a business center (with their own servers and dedicated IP).
I've a Mac pro with 6 iMacs and 4 Mac book Pros.

We are using 1TB Time-machine as a backup and airport for all the macs.( I know, its not much but, these guys wont use all space)

My Pro has its own backup tho..!!

I now have to setup my Xserve in such a way, people can FTP files to it.

I need to host websites from it (mostly joomla).

Need to have an iChat and iCal service for all my members/colleagues.

Need to have a webmail.

Need to keep our intranet secure.

And all bits and pieces pertaining to a small company setup.

Could someone please help me the steps included in setting it up..!!

Have gone thru alot by googling and could not find the best source in filling my needs.

Would be greatful, if you could help me ASAP..

Ima S/w engineer.. not a H/W engg.. So guys.., please do help me..!!

Thanks in advance..

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This isn't too hard. Mostly, it depends on which mode the server was set up in. If it was set up in one of the basic modes, you configure stuff with Server Preferences. It's like System Preferences, only for server-specific settings. If it's in advanced mode, you use Server Admin instead, which exposes a bunch of advanced settings.

Note: Even if you're in basic mode you may need to use Server Admin anyway, to enable MySQL and PHP so that Joomla will work properly.

cadiboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Earth
This isn't too hard. Mostly, it depends on which mode the server was set up in. If it was set up in one of the basic modes, you configure stuff with Server Preferences. It's like System Preferences, only for server-specific settings. If it's in advanced mode, you use Server Admin instead, which exposes a bunch of advanced settings.

Note: Even if you're in basic mode you may need to use Server Admin anyway, to enable MySQL and PHP so that Joomla will work properly.

hey wrldwzrd89,

Can you please tell mw HOW TO!!!

Its a bit worrying to me..

I've tried to setup iCal first and it says no virtual hosts..

I think, I need to as these people to setup DHCP settings as well, as they 've not given anything yet!!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
hey wrldwzrd89,

Can you please tell mw HOW TO!!!

Its a bit worrying to me..

I've tried to setup iCal first and it says no virtual hosts..

I think, I need to as these people to setup DHCP settings as well, as they 've not given anything yet!!
Sure.

First of all, is Joomla the only thing you're going to be hosting on that server's web site? If so, then the setup process is easy.
  1. Open up Server Admin
  2. If you get a warning about Advanced mode, don't convert your server, just continue anyway
  3. Select Services
  4. Select MySQL
  5. Enable it
  6. Go back to Services, this time choose Web
  7. Open up the module configuration
  8. Find the PHP 5 module, and enable it too
  9. Quit out of Server Admin, you're all done in here
iChat and iCal generally don't need special configuration, just enable the relevant services.
For FTP, you'll need to make sure the folder people can upload to/download from is set correctly, then enable the service.
Webmail is also trivial, just enable this service within the Web configuration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.