Steps in Health

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by coffeemadmanUK, Apr 24, 2015.

1. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

Any idea how to stop Health using the iPhone to count steps as well as the Watch? Looks like it is using both...

(It syncs to Lifesum and I don't want it to double count)

Attached Files:

2. Speedman100, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

I don't think it double counts. I think it intelligently figures it all out.

3. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

i thought it just adds them together somehow?

4. coffeemadmanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

How though? If my iPhone thinks I'm moving, then my Watch will be on my wrist... so the Watch should be the only thing on this screen from the point I synced it with my iPhone, surely?

5. mjs402 macrumors 6502

It's supposed to do whatever one is in priority on the list.

If you open the Health app and tap on Steps and choose "Share Data", you will see a list under "DATA SOURCES:", then underneath the list it tells you "The sources above are allowed to update your Steps data. When multiple sources are available, one data source will be chosen based on the priority order listed above."

6. coffeemadmanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

I have the Watch as the top priority.

It just worries me - if my phone senses movement, then why isn't my Watch doing the same thing?

7. RichMercer macrumors newbie

I had the same worry but I just deleted a bunch of steps tracked on the iPhone and it didn't change my daily total so it must have been only using watch steps.

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

The main issue isn't the health app, it works it out smartly, I think the issue arises when using tracker apps, like life sum, which for some reason uses both measurements instead of just taking the total from Health, then you get real weird and funky cals burned and much higher activity than is really true.

9. rosario1990 macrumors regular

But how did it do this?

10. coffeemadmanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

Yeah I had to stop using it in Lifesum. I've reported it to them.

11. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I have the same issue in life sum!!! So annoying. I think it's not apple's fault but lifesum's.

I reported it too and they claimed they are aware of the issue and have already submitted a fix to apple, awaiting approval. Hope this gets fixed soon!

12. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Good news, hopefully won't be long then!

13. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

My step count is about the same since getting the watch so it definitely does not count both and double up.

14. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

The health app works fine, it's just lifesum causing the confusion!

15. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Would it be better to have the iPhone is top priority, and then the Watch? I believe I read that the Watch will struggle to count steps when you're doing things similar to pushing a shopping cart or stroller.

Also, the iPhone has an altimeter to measure flights, whereas the Watch doesn't. Since waist-worn activity trackers are generally more accurate than wrist-worn ones, I wonder if the same would apple to the iPhone and Watch.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

My phone and watch show the same exact step count. It's not double counting as I know what my average steps counts were before I got the watch just using the phone by itself.

17. coffeemadmanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

The problem is the apps that take both the steps on the iPhone and the Watch - as is documented and acknowledge by the team at Lifesum.

Not to mention it doesn't quite explain how, or why, it would say "OK I see the iPhone is moving XX steps" but if I'm wearing the Watch ALL the time then it would also move if my iPhone is moving.

----------

The point of the Watch is that I don't have to constantly have my iPhone with me. At work I put my iPhone in my desk and leave it as it's connected to the wifi network along with my Watch and I receive the notifications as normal. If I'm walking around the office I don't have my iPhone with me.

18. tivoboy macrumors 68030

another app

are you sure something like Argus is ALSO running on the iphone and pushing step detail to the iphone?

19. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Steps will have more in the health app then the activity app if you had the watch off at any point and had the phone. I had that happen the other day.

20. CellXor10 macrumors regular

The past few days with my Apple Watch, I'd been noticing that my watch was regularly recording about 2,000 steps fewer than my iPhone. I just played around to remind myself how to switch up the priority of data sources for Health, as I feel like my iPhone data is more accurate- I just feel like a tracker in my pocket near my waist/legs is destined to be more accurate than something on my wrist, one way or another.