Steps in making sure everything is running fine.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tadros86, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

My new MBP 17 inch will be arriving on Friday and I was just wondering what steps I can take in making sure everything is running smoothly. Any tips? I want to catch any errors quickly so I don't install all my stuff and then have to send it back.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Turn it on. If it brings you to the setup screen, it is working fine.

3. simsaladimbamba

You could run the Apple Hardware Test to test the hardware, but normally they just run fine. You could use Time Machine to backup your Mac and then restore in the unlikely case of failure of your Mac.
    Or you can use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy of your Macintosh HD to an external HDD and have a bootable and copy-back-able copy of Mac OS X and all your data and applications.

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Best advice I can give is to just use it. Any problems will arise if there are any.

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

run some benchmarks like cinebench and geekbench a couple of times to stress test the system. if its all ok then everything will be running fine.

6. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

Anything else I should know? Aside from making sure the comp is updated to 10.6.7 I was thinking of maybe doing a fresh install of the OS before installing anything - then I thought... what's the point, it IS a new computer after all.

7. sotomsays macrumors newbie