Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Its not a huge deal, and I'm certainly not obsessing about the exact number of steps I do each day, but I am curious as to why I am getting discrepancies between apps if they are all taking the step count from the watch.

Today I clocked up 16871 steps as recorded in the Activity app.

I am using SyncSolver to pull that through to FitBit, which is showing 14307 steps.

And also looking at the UnderArmour Record app, pulling through the steps from the AW, and showing 17450.

I don't really care which is more accurate, but it would be less confusing if they were all the same, if they are all supposed to be pulled from the data from the AW.

rojocrandall

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
I use SyncSolver also as I need to sync my Apple Watch steps to FitBit for workplace insurance benefits.
I too have noticed that the daily totals between Apple Watch/Health App and the FitBit Activity Log
vary from 6 to 600+. Over the course of 3/1 to 3/12, the difference was about 2,200 steps.
But if you read the Sync Solver FAQ, it talks about "Why is my step count not exactly correct?"
http://syncsolver.com/healthfitbit/support/#ad9a05f2

As this time, as far as I know, Sync Solver is the only app that syncs Apple Watch/Health steps to your FitBit account.

I am not sure about the other apps.

Reactions: johngordon

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Ah, that makes sense. I have been looking at a few apps, so it looks like there’s probably some double counting going on.

I guess really I don’t want any app writing steps / distance data to Health, or have my phone as a source. Just have the watch as the only data source for all of that.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Another thing, and not germane to the apps listed, but, some apps will do their own calculating steps. Basic formula of it takes X steps to go one mile, so if they are tracking via GPS distance, then you get that kind of approximation.

One app, and can't recall which, had a more complex formula of trying to determine stride length vs. speed vs. distance to calculate their steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.