Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferri1c

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
I have a iPhone 4 that I jail broke with jailbreakme.com on firmware 4.01.

I have not updated it after all this time only for the fact I wasn't confident I'd understand or know how to do it. And I obviously DON'T want to lose my jailbreak EVER!!!!!

When I look on my Cydia home page the SHSH: iOS 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2~b3, 4.3, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1

Can anyone outline a brief description with steps on what to do in what order including backing up my phone so that I can get a more updated firmware without losing a jailbreak?

Thank You in advance!!!!

Dheald

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
I have a iPhone 4 that I jail broke with jailbreakme.com on firmware 4.01.

I have not updated it after all this time only for the fact I wasn't confident I'd understand or know how to do it. And I obviously DON'T want to lose my jailbreak EVER!!!!!

When I look on my Cydia home page the SHSH: iOS 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2~b3, 4.3, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1

Can anyone outline a brief description with steps on what to do in what order including backing up my phone so that I can get a more updated firmware without losing a jailbreak?

Thank You in advance!!!!

There are over 1.2 MILLION threads on the MacRumors forums. You cannot honestly believe you are the first person to want to accomplish this. Search.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
There are over 1.2 MILLION threads on the MacRumors forums. You cannot honestly believe you are the first person to want to accomplish this. Search.

Wow, so helpful. How about pointing someone in the right direction instead of being a pretentious jerk about it?

Dheald

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Wow, so helpful. How about pointing someone in the right direction instead of being a pretentious jerk about it?

Tell me how I'm being pretentious, please. I did point him in the right direction, the search bar! It's better than getting three or four different responses, further confusing the OP.

PS: Let's not name-call, shall we?

Ferri1c

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010

Instead of spending you're energy on a rude and smart a** comment you should have never even have commented on this thread. If you won't help then I'm pretty sure no one is interested in you're comments. Just ignore this thread if this question is below you.

Sorry not everyone on this forum are equal with their knowledge. Obviously me being one of them HENCE the reason I'm still using 4.0.1 and haven't updated.

Sooooooooooo Sorry for wasting you're time Dheald

P.s. this subject would make a great sticky on the forum for people like me so we don't irritate all the geniuses like Dheald.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wow I really wanna help. ok here it goes the search bar on the on top right of the forum page. This guy has been around over a year should know how to search! :rolleyes: Dheald gave you respect,

Dheald

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Instead of spending you're energy on a rude and smart a** comment you should have never even have commented on this thread. If you won't help then I'm pretty sure no one is interested in you're comments. Just ignore this thread if this question is below you.

Sorry not everyone on this forum are equal with their knowledge. Obviously me being one of them HENCE the reason I'm still using 4.0.1 and haven't updated.

Sooooooooooo Sorry for wasting you're time Dheald

P.s. this subject would make a great sticky on the forum for people like me so we don't irritate all the geniuses like Dheald.

Why are you insulting me? Because I didn't give you the answer you wanted?

The Search bar is incredibly powerful if you use it correctly. Keywords are your friend.

We are all nice people on this forum, just don't expect answers for no work on your end. If you know how to log-in, start a thread and post comments...you can search.

Ferri1c

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Wow I really wanna help. ok here it goes the search bar on the on top right of the forum page. This guy has been around over a year should know how to search! :rolleyes: Dheald gave you respect,

Why are you even on this thread? Same smart a** comment with no help. I have searched and searched the forum. I have yet to find someone in the same situation. I need a basic explanation. Some of the previous threads are too complicated.

I HAVE SEARCHED THE FORUM!!

I still am confused. I'm not allowed to ask a question? What a joke! The two of you are insulting and non helpful at all. Why does anyone ask questions anymore. I'm sure anyone can answer "Just use the search bar" for any question.

I' m getting embarrassed to even ask anything on here. Maybe I'll Search for a more friendlier forum.

Once again I searched the threads and they didn't pertain to my situation. And if the thread is there its my mistake but I honestly haven't found it.

So instead of attacking me when all I did was ask a question and even said thank you in advance, help or don't even comment.

----------

The Search bar is incredibly powerful if you use it correctly. Keywords are your friend.

We are all nice people on this forum, just don't expect answers for no work on your end. If you know how to log-in, start a thread and post comments...you can search.

You're right there are nice people on this forum. I would disagree with you on "we all are ". There are definitely some not so nice people that enjoy reading their cocky arrogant comments instead.

----------

I'm a bit confused on what what's insulting? Feel free to let me know so I can respectfully apologize. Thank you.

----------

iclarified.com

Thank you. I just downloaded the iclarified app. I'm trying to find a tutorial but no such luck yet. I'll keep searching. Thank you for pointing me in any direction at all.

Cheers

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You have to realize that your question has been asked over a hundred times since the JB came out and there's tons of tutorials and step by step info everywhere. Help yourself a little and do a quick search. Either here or on google and you will find plenty. Dont expect everyone to hold your hand, if you have specific questions or unsure about something ask nicelly and you will get help. Just many people dont like to help the lazy or the ones that dont bother to do any research or educate themselves a little.
Go to this site and you will find tons of info with pics and even videos.
http://www.iclarified.com/
Here's the step by step you will need to follow to upgrade to a JB 5.0.1
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18989
Assuming you're not unlocked with ultrasnow. Are you on official carrier and just want to update to 5.0.1 and JB correct?

BlizzardBolt

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Mariana Trench
Why are you even on this thread? Same smart a** comment with no help. I have searched and searched the forum. I have yet to find someone in the same situation. I need a basic explanation. Some of the previous threads are too complicated.

I HAVE SEARCHED THE FORUM!!

I still am confused. I'm not allowed to ask a question? What a joke! The two of you are insulting and non helpful at all. Why does anyone ask questions anymore. I'm sure anyone can answer "Just use the search bar" for any question.

I' m getting embarrassed to even ask anything on here. Maybe I'll Search for a more friendlier forum.

Once again I searched the threads and they didn't pertain to my situation. And if the thread is there its my mistake but I honestly haven't found it.

So instead of attacking me when all I did was ask a question and even said thank you in advance, help or don't even comment.

----------

You're right there are nice people on this forum. I would disagree with you on "we all are ". There are definitely some not so nice people that enjoy reading their cocky arrogant comments instead.

----------

I'm a bit confused on what what's insulting? Feel free to let me know so I can respectfully apologize. Thank you.

----------

Thank you. I just downloaded the iclarified app. I'm trying to find a tutorial but no such luck yet. I'll keep searching. Thank you for pointing me in any direction at all.

Cheers

Chill out guys, this person just wants direct answers even though you are from Aug 2010, I'm gonna let that slide. I was helpless as you when I decided to jailbreak for the first time. I hated back then when people told me to search.

You should check out iClarified's jailbreak wizard to show you complete steps

http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/

For video about jailbreaking, check out the youtube channel( he has jailbreak videos from iOS4)

http://www.youtube.com/user/EverythingApplePro

If you want to update firmware and you are jailbroken, this can not be done. Only way to do this is update to the higher firmware and run the jailbreak on that firmware.

Since you are on iOS4, go to iTunes and make a backup, also transfer all purchases. Make sure to keep a list of the Cydia tweaks that you have because you will lose them when you update.

Update to new firmware through iTunes and jailbreak. After you update you can also restore from a backup if for some reason you lose all of your apps besides your stock ones(happened to me once).

When do you ever stop, you misled me yesterday and now you are trying to mislead a "new" person who needs help from iOS4. If you don't help don't bother posting!

Ferri1c

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
You have to realize that your question has been asked over a hundred times since the JB came out and there's tons of tutorials and step by step info everywhere. Help yourself a little and do a quick search. Either here or on google and you will find plenty. Dont expect everyone to hold your hand, if you have specific questions or unsure about something ask nicelly and you will get help. Just many people dont like to help the lazy or the ones that dont bother to do any research or educate themselves a little.
Go to this site and you will find tons of info with pics and even videos.
http://www.iclarified.com/
Here's the step by step you will need to follow to upgrade to a JB 5.0.1
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18989
Assuming you're not unlocked with ultrasnow. Are you on official carrier and just want to update to 5.0.1 and JB correct?

I understand all of you're points you mentioned and I'm in full agreement. However collectively I have searched for many hours and days prior to this question. I have always asked nice and always were grateful to the respondents. Maybe a sticky note with good basic instructions is needed to avoid this. No one is forced to answer anything. So if that's not their intentions then ignoring a thread would be more constructive then to insult the OP. Thank you for providing those links. Believe me I won't be asking anything anymore as its quite embarrassing and insulting when "some respondents" are rude. The above comment is a perfect example. I came for help not to be insulted. Sorry for the inconvenience to everyone.

----------

No thanks, have fun with iOS4.

Classy

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
When do you ever stop, you misled me yesterday and now you are trying to mislead a "new" person who needs help from iOS4. If you don't help don't bother posting!

!st off as far as you go Chronic updated a while latter and said they were releasing a 5.0 Jb. atthe time I replied Musclenerd said do not use 5.0 this is 5.0.1 so yes I mislead you (sorry)

2nd this isn't a new person he has been here over a year. Any way it doesn't matter obviously you have problems with me. So I will just say Have a good day! :D

Last edited:

Ferri1c

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Chill out guys, this person just wants direct answers even though you are from Aug 2010, I'm gonna let that slide. I was helpless as you when I decided to jailbreak for the first time. I hated back then when people told me to search.

You should check out iClarified's jailbreak wizard to show you complete steps

http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/

For video about jailbreaking, check out the youtube channel( he has jailbreak videos from iOS4)

http://www.youtube.com/user/EverythingApplePro

If you want to update firmware and you are jailbroken, this can not be done. Only way to do this is update to the higher firmware and run the jailbreak on that firmware.

Since you are on iOS4, go to iTunes and make a backup, also transfer all purchases. Make sure to keep a list of the Cydia tweaks that you have because you will lose them when you update.

Update to new firmware through iTunes and jailbreak. After you update you can also restore from a backup if for some reason you lose all of your apps besides your stock ones(happened to me once).

Thank you so much Blizzardbolt!!!!!!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I understand all of you're points you mentioned and I'm in full agreement. However collectively I have searched for many hours and days prior to this question. I have always asked nice and always were grateful to the respondents. Maybe a sticky note with good basic instructions is needed to avoid this. No one is forced to answer anything. So if that's not their intentions then ignoring a thread would be more constructive then to insult the OP. Thank you for providing those links. Believe me I won't be asking anything anymore as its quite embarrassing and insulting when "some respondents" are rude. The above comment is a perfect example. I came for help not to be insulted. Sorry for the inconvenience to everyone.

Welcome, hope it works out for you in the end.
Take your time, read it and make sure you understand everything you're doing before you attempt anything.
Iclarified is a great source for info, tutorials, links to download the programs that you will need etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.