Steps to prepare Jailbroken 3GS for Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reminis, Mar 21, 2011.

1. reminis, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

reminis macrumors member

I have a Jailbroken 3GS that I need bring into Apple Genius Bar to have the phone replaced.

My phone has horrible signal, it has gotten worst and worst and now its to point where I almost NEVER have any signal in my house.
    I have AppleCare and want to know what are the steps I need to do to get my phone back to Original OS?

I received this phone jailbroken so I never did it myself. Also any suggestions to how about going to get a Replacement phone? I dont want to travel all the way to Apple to get a run around and not walkout with a new phone.
    My firmware is 06.15.00
    Ver 4.2.1

Thanks!

Edit* whats best way to backup my phone so when I get new 3gs I can just restore what I got now?

2. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Depends.

What is your iPhone baseband?

Check in "About" and scroll down, if you have the iPad baseband (06.15.00) Apple will turn you away, if not and you have a normal iPhone baseband, just restore and they won't know the difference

3. reminis thread starter macrumors member

My firmware is 06.15.00
    Ver 4.2.1

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Depending on the genius you get, you may or may not be able to get this phone replaced. Some geniuses may notice it, while other may not.

The upgrade to the 6.15.00 baseband irrevocably altered your phone in a very obvious way. You can't even restore that phone using stock firmware anymore. You would have to use a custom cooked firmware to restore it.

5. reminis thread starter macrumors member

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Step 1) Inspect your iPhone under a direct light source.

Step 2) If you find tiny hairline cracks on the backside of the phone or near the dock connector or headphone jack, that'll be your ticket to a replacement iPhone.

Step 3) Tell the Genius that you found these cracks on your phone and that you are worried the problem might get worse and you know this is a defect of the iPhone's coating.

Step 4) Get replacement iPhone, great success

Check this website out for how to get the most out of your warranty: http://www.cultofmac.com/how-to-get-the-most-from-your-iphones-warranty/11368

7. reminis thread starter macrumors member

Phone doesnt have any hairline cracks.

But the GPS on the phone Sucks.. Its Horrible.. It never pinpoints where I am ever...how do I demonstrate this to Apple? They might say "since we are in a enclosed area the GPS wont Work good anyways"

8. clactonlad macrumors member

Your GPS issues are a result of having the ipad bb on your phone. The dev team told people GPS would not work if upgrading to the ipad bb...see here:

"Unlockers have been reporting mixed results about GPS functionality at 06.15.00. Until we can track down what differentiates those who retain GPS vs. those who lose it, be conservative and assume you’ll lose GPS at 06.15.00. As we work on finding the cause (and possibly a fix), please report your personal findings in our comments section. (Update: early indications are that while 06.15.00 is capable of GPS, it will require some further hacks. But please still be conservative and assume you will lose GPS at 06.15, in case the hacks don’t work)."

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ halfway down the page.

9. reminis thread starter macrumors member

Like I said I got the Iphone Jailbroken like this, How do I go about changing that?

I NEED GPS and that not working is my biggest concern then reception problem

10. clactonlad macrumors member

You can't change this, that bb is not downgradable in anyway. Basically your stuck with it.

Your only hope is to take it in to Apple, hope and fray and cross your fingers and toes that they do not notice that it is jb and on the ipad bb and that they replace it for you.

That is highly unlikely though.

11. reminis thread starter macrumors member

Wow So im screwed. I got a phone with no GPS lol

Might as well sell the Iphone

12. clactonlad macrumors member

Well you could try and take it into apple, and if they spot it play dumb and say you brought it this way, didn't know this voided the warranty and thought you had done everything right, and even have apple care proving you had good intentions. (I mean who the hell would get apple care for a device that has had it's warranty permanently voided lol)

The worst thing they can do is say no, it's worth a try if your desperate.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Check this website out for how to get the most out of your warranty: http://www.cultofmac.com/how-to-lie-and-avoid-personal-responsibility

Fixed your link

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I think I may be tempted to err, um, look a little closer for small cracks around the connector, switches and jacks if you get my drift. :D