Steps to save space on your MBP! (info)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sk8r1230, Jun 20, 2012.

1. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

Wanted to post up a thread for people who want to save space on the more affordable, common, but smaller ssds. I just got my rmbp with 16 gigs of ram and 512 ssd. I wanted to save as much space as possible and thin out lion as much as I could.

1) I started by attemtping to do a custom install of lion to thin out languages and printer drivers. Unfortunaly with lion this feature is now grayed out. It appears the day of custom installs is over. Wish I would have known this as it would have saved me time initially.

2)Next I looked at my honest usage and only installed "needed" apps.

3)Signed up for iTunes match. This made it possible to only stream music to my mbp and not have to download any music at all. yes it actually streams to macs even though it doesn't to ios devices (yet). I have an imac where i keep actually copies of my music in my itunes library. 8gigs saved

4)I used "clean my Mac." it's a paid program that removes unneeded language files from apps only. It also cleans out unnecessary junk and code from apps along with cache ect. 1+ gig saved and counting.

5) used a free program called "omni disk." this let's you scan your whole drive and find out what is using your space. I was able to remove printer drivers, and voice files (there is only one preinstalled). Voices are used for people who have potential disabilities and need the things on the screen read to them. 600+ Mb

6) I turned safe sleep off and cleared its storage usage. This function writes all the info from your ram onto the hd. It's used so you don't lose your work when ur battery fully dies either while using the computer or its asleep and runs out of battery. The computer will sleep and wake much quicker no matter the type of hd used when it's turned off because it doesn't need to write or read this info from the ram/hd. I make sure my work is saved constantly and never close the lid till I'm sure my work is safe as habit anyway. Also i always have my charger. Google search for their terminal codes on how to do this. It can be reversed if you change your mind. 16gigs saved.

7)I used "monolingual." It's a free app that clears language files system wide that may be unneeded. Be very careful with this app and your language selections. Read the readme file upon downloading and before use. 2.5gigs saved

8)Turned off time machine internal snapshots. When time machine is turned on it takes quick snapshots in between actual time machine backups. All this info is saved to your hd and builds up over time. I do regular and consistent backups externally so I don't need time machine doing this on top of that. Google search for terminal codes. Reversible if need be. Consistent savings over time.

9)I used xslimmer. Its a paid with free trial app that also removes language files from apps only. I did find a few programs that could be slimmed down that "clean my Mac" missed. 50mb saved.

I saved almost 30gigs of ssd space and prevented further filling of my drive by taking these steps. I have no issues what so ever with my Mac and ran into no problems when running these apps/terminal codes. I'm not responsible for any negative effects you may have by following these steps, and as always, back up your data before you go tinkering! Enjoy your free space!:)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for posting. You may be interested in this existing thread: Freeing up space in Mac OS X
    I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

There are several. Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report, Disk Inventory X, DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.
    xSlimmer and Monolingual do basically the same thing, and Monolingual is free.

3. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

my experience with clean my mac has been very positive for the past 3 to 4 years. used it regularly on 3 mbps and one iMac that i have owned over the years. never any issues what so ever. anything is possible though.

In no way am i claiming my macs run faster nor will anyone else's (most likely). just merely saving space.

i have heard xslimmer and monolingual are the same but i did find some apps that somehow were over looked and/or missed by monolingual.

i understand that cache cleaning temporarily hinders performance. i was just stating the other things clean my mac achieves.

your write up is also good and between the two i think we have covered most options people have to keep a clean mac hd.

4. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Does Monolingual strip does Apps to Intel Binaries only as well? xSlimmer is an awesome App I have used for years.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it does. It's mostly personal preference as to which one you use, but you don't need both.

6. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Oh cool. Never heard of the program until now.

7. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

All this is good to know. Was worried about getting a ssd because I didn't want to find out that i didn't get enough storage.

8. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

glad i could help!

----------

i would say the safer one of the two for average users is xslimmer. it even offers a backup function incase u slim an app and the app stops working. (haven't used this feature so not sure on how well it functions).