Steps to take to streamline and maximize resources/efficiency in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by east85, Apr 16, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

My Mac is running just fine on 10.7.3, but with my Windows 7 machine I am always trying to find new ways to streamline it for my purposes and maximize my resources (hard drive space/memory/etc). It's not that I have to do it, it's that I enjoy doing it. I still have quite a bit to learn about OS X, so I am wondering if there any helpful tips, guides, etc regarding this.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Anything you do will be a trade-off of feature vs resource usage.

One thing you may consider if running a laptop is to turn off time machine local backups (back ups if your time machine drive is not available - as it may not be if you use a USB external disk)

read
    man tmutil

in the terminal

4. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks everyone. I have to go view an apartment very soon but I will continue going through this advice and seeing what I can do that I haven't done yet.

So far:

Page Outs - 125kb
    Clicktoflash - Check
    Widgets - Killed that with terminal already. I don't use this feature and I didn't really like the way it looked.
    No log in items checked
    No startup items found in /Library/StartupItems/
    Flash is up to date
    HTML 5 video player is now enabled. I found this particularly cool, was not aware that Google was even doing this with Youtube.
    AdBlock installed since day 1.
    DNS settings are normal.

I'm pretty familiar with Activity Monitor, so I check that every now and then just to make sure everything is running optimally.

I'm about half way through removing unneeded fonts, most of them just being ones in foreign languages that I will not need. Any other tips are welcome.