Steps To Take When SR MBP Comes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toenexx, Jun 8, 2007.

1. toenexx macrumors member

I was wondering what steps I should take when I first get my new MBP. First of all, I wanna use BootCamp and Parallels. WHich one should I do first? SHould I install Mac software before that? Or install WinXP? Should I do something else before I install ANYTHING? Will I need to reformat? ANy tips concerning great steps in making my first EVER Mac a good experience would be helpful. :)

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

3. martinelli macrumors newbie

I'll also be getting my first Apple computer soon - tomorrow, actually.

I think the idea went over your head a little (just kidding. ;)). OSX keeps it simple - do whatever you want, it will work out.

However, let's make a list:

1) Unbox - marvel at design
    2) Setup OSX, get the base configuration down, get a _few_ programs up and running.
    3) Install bootcamp (although, Parallels v3 looks darn good for opengl. did I read correctly that the 8600m is DX10?!)

One question for you guys. Should I format right after I get it?

Regards,
    John

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Install UNO as soon as possible because brushed metal is evil and wants to eat your babies.

5. toenexx thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I would like to know too.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's not much point in reformatting a new machine other than to maybe do a customised install and omit some of the printer drivers and languages. Of course, these can easily be removed with a fresh install anyway. :)

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No need to reinstall to clean up your hard drive. I recommend the following steps:

- use OmniDiskSweeper (not free) or my personal favorite WhatSize (free) to determine what all is taking up room on your HDD and where it is
    - remove GarageBand and iDVD if you do not need them - that should free up around 6 GB right there
    - check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need
    - use Monolingual to remove the unnecessary language resources from your Mac*. Another option is to use Delocalizer
    - lastly, you could always use AppZapper (not free) or uApp (free) to ensure that when you uninstall any programs that all those pesky sub-folders, etc. are deleted

That should just about do it. :cool:

* a note about Monolingual. If you are not careful this can seriously screw up your Mac if it is Intel-based. Basically, leave the Architectures settings alone. If you delete G3, G4, G5 then anything which is PPC-based which will try to run under Rosetta, won't. Otherwise, Monolingual is great. ;)

8. MGLXP macrumors regular

Yes, the 8600M GT is fully DirectX 10 compliant.