Steps to upgrading to Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eldiablojoe, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I have a semi-buggy version of SnowLeopard. My MacBook has always run like a version of Windows with lots of beachball action and frozen screens. Some of these little peculiarities disappeared when I reinstalled the OS, but other minor blips have popped up.

I'm eager for a complete new OS, so I want to give Lion a try.

Are there any steps I should make sure to take before I install Lion. I mean besides the obvious running of Time Machine and backing / syncing of my iOS devices and updating my 3rd party and Apple software to the latest versions.

Thank you.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds like your best option is to perform a clean install. Otherwise the slowness of SL will most likely exist in Lion too.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

A clean install is no panacea. It depends on what's causing your slow-downs. Watch the processes in Activity Monitor to get a clue.

Check your RAM, your hard drive, and any peripherals for problems. Fix your permissions. And if the problems occur with a particular application, try reinstalling it.

If you have a good backup then you can install using Apple's recommended procedure and see if it works. If so, you're done. If not, then go to more labor intensive methods. I suspect your current problems won't be fixed by a new OS.

Rob

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Check the compatibility of the apps you use often with Lion before you make the leap.

5. PS65 macrumors 6502

Whilst I agree with Rob's comment that you should carry out the analysis to help determine the cause, I have to say a clean install of a new OS still works.

There is much debate as to whether a clean install on a Mac improves performance or rectifies any earlier issues. My experience, ignoring all theory, is that it works wonders.

If you can't find the cause after a day or so, I suggest focusing your time on a clean install.

PS. Have you checked Console?