stereo -> 5.1 downmixing w/diamond xtreme

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grouch, Oct 14, 2014.

1. grouch macrumors member

grouch

i have a diamond xtreme sound 7.1 card and a set of klipsch promedia 5.1 speakers.

when i play a surround-sound file in vlc/quicktime, etc. everything works as intended.

non-multichannel sound such as stereo music files and osx interface sounds do not play properly.

i used to have a griffin firepro (with it's own software) that had an "all channel stereo" option where you could play stereo sound on all channels.. but the diamond does not have it's own software and i can't find anything in osx to do the equivalent.

any ideas how i might achieve this? i'll end up using the headphone jack for now which is really disappointing since i lose three of my speakers doing that.

2. grouch thread starter macrumors member

grouch

bumping this - soundflower is still broken and i haven't found any good alternatives.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If you have not spent any time in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup application, I would recommend you look at that first. It enables you to do some very interesting things (multi-output devices in particular).

A.

4. grouch thread starter macrumors member

grouch

soundflower still hasn't been updated - also tried soundsiphon and kuwatec's audioloopback driver with no success.

there's nothing in midi preferences that's of help - i can configure the speakers, osx will send sound out of all speakers, however the only actual sound i can play is movies with dts/ac3 audio. system sound and itunes does *not* work.

one thing i noticed that was weird is that i can preview audio tracks in finder and it'll play them, however itunes itself will not.

i feel like the dac isn't recognizing whatever format osx is sending out for it's normal stereo and mono audio but i have no idea where to go from here.