Stereo amp for use with airport express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by louisg, Apr 22, 2012.

1. louisg macrumors newbie

I'm looking for advice on an inexpensive stereo amplifier to purchase for use with an Airport Express. This is for my kitchen. I have some outdoor speakers acoustic energy extreme 5
    http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Default.aspx?pagename=Extreme-Series-specification
    It doesn't need to do anything other than be an amp.

Ideally the amp should be small and run cool, as it'll be on top of a kitchen cabinet. It should have some form of auto-sensing power so it doesn't waste electricity when not in use. Budget is sub £100

Thanks!

2. condor macrumors member

3. AppLCII macrumors member

AppLCII

I'd also look at Dayton amps on Parts Express. I recently purchased a dayton apa 150 and am extremely happy with it:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-812

It powers a 2.1 system with two polk bookshelfs and a yamaha powered sub. That model may be overkill for your needs, but give the dayton lineup a look.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and why.

4. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Not small and over budget but would save the need for the airport express have a look at the pioneer vsx-921

5. Powerbooky, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

Powerbooky macrumors regular

Powerbooky

A bit above budget, but it's really compact and versatile: the BigJoe2 or BigJoe3.
    The BigJoe3 works with the digital optical output on the Mac or Airport Express.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Others might be interested in the AudioEngine 5 bookshelf speakers. Actually designed to work with an Airport Express.
    [​IMG]

6. davidoloan macrumors 6502

RJ45 Stereo Output?

No analogue stereo output?

7. Powerbooky macrumors regular

Powerbooky

The speaker outputs are analogue. The unconventional thing is indeed the RJ45 connector. Probably for size reasons. Correct cables are included though and ones that I got are rugged enough to last quite a while.
    [​IMG]

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've got an expensive DTS in my living room, but wanted a cheaper solution for my bedroom...I have a Sony Hi-fi in there with a good amp and a nice large Bass woofer. I just plugged my AE into a wall socket (wanted it there anyway to extend my network) then just ran a 3.5mm jack into the input socket of the Sony....Sounds terrific...and since I had the Sony in there anyway, cost me zip!

9. Powerbooky, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

Powerbooky macrumors regular

Powerbooky

Following AppLCII's link... here's a range of cheap amplifiers. You'll have to Google to read about the performance of these brands and models though. Most cheap-made amplifiers tend to be crappy and have noisy outputs (OK... agree, some expensive brands too).

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I've had this Lepai connected to an airport express for years. No issues at all. Never turn it off. I actually have it connected to some old Apple Pro Speakers :-D