Stereo Bluetooth in the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by busterbluth, Jun 24, 2008.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Im not too familiar with bluetooth technology, but I read a article (http://gizmodo.com/5014732/3g-iphone-first-hands-on) that stated that the A2DP is a software update, as opposed to hardware. Does this mean that a software update in the future will allow us to listen to stereo bluetooth without buying a whole new phone? Just wondering, any input would be great.

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

They could have added it anytime in the past year, they chose not to. I'd guess Apple made a concious choice to never offer it, just like MMS.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Stereo bluetooth is the one that really gets me. I mean all it does it lets you use wireless headphones and connect to bluetooth-enabled stereos. All I can figure is they've got their hands full writing code for other stuff for the phone.

MMS is something I still think is pointless, but I know other people want it. However, both are software updates, so it's not something like GPS that people will need new phones for.

4. stevin macrumors regular

Boys and Girls. This subject has been discussed over and over again. Do a quick search and you'll find a slew of plausible theories about why apple has chosen not to include a2dp.

The gist of it is that people think that apple makes a lot of money off of "made for ipod/iphone" accessories... and that if they open up bluetooth they wont be able to make quite the same amount of profit.

also... some people are saying that stereo bluetooth quality isnt great. I personally would love if they introduce it. but they wont...

5. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

on the same lines, any idea if the current iteration of the iphone will work with airport extreme? Too lazy to search right now...

6. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Nope, the software they licensed for their Bluetooth chip already includes A2DP (stereo profile). It was left out intentionally. Only Jobs knows why.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

The chip supports it, but it would still require some OS coding. I agree that lots of things the OS is missing seem to be just because of a lack of time.

Phazer