Stereo bluetooth question - system sounds?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jackryan57, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jackryan57 macrumors regular

Ok, I borrowed my friends Plantronics 855 to try. Here is my question: I was using it to make a call, I ended my call and placed the bluetooth in my cupholder. Well, I got a bunch of e-mails and texts but never heard them come in because all my system sounds were going to the bluetooth. Is there any way to make the bluetooth disconnect from my phone so I can tell when texts are coming in etc.?

The plantronics worked great for phone calls and I loved it for ipod etc. But I really need it to disconnect so I can hear the system sounds. I tried a few work arounds, which were turning bluetooth off on my phone - this sucked because when a call came in it was too cumbersome to turn bluetooth back on to use the bluetooth. I also tried turning off the bluetooth device in between calls, but this sucked too because it takes too long to turn it back on.

Sorry for the long rant - can anyone help me with this issue?? What do you guys do???

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm sorry I think there's no way of doing that for the iPhone, there was a poster just a while ago who was asking somewhat similar to that, but his case he wants music audio to go out on the headphone jack then calls on the bluetooth headset.

3. jackryan57 thread starter macrumors regular

So then what do you stereo bluetooth users do? I can't walk around with that dorky thing in my ear all day, but I don't want to miss incoming texts etc. Any solutions?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

umm

can't you just turn the bluetooth off takes 2 seconds setings/general/bluetooth disconnect your Plantronics 855 or turn it off or just turn the bt off when you want to make calls. I have had about 4 different cell phones in the last none of them have a way simple way around bt.

5. jackryan57 thread starter macrumors regular

Turning the bluetooth off is easy, I'm talking about turning it back on to receive a call.....

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I have a Motorola S9-HD in which IMHO isn't dorky when I wear it. You should get one ;)

For a workaround, you can either just turn off and on your Bluetooth device. Turn the BT device once you hear an incoming call from your iPhone, that way you can answer the call on your BT device. Yes HFP kicks in over your iPhone speakers or headphones once it's been found or turned on. After the call, you can just turn it back off and place that dorky thing away. That's the only way I could think of, you really have to play with on and offs based on your scenario and what you want.

7. jackryan57 thread starter macrumors regular

You're kidding me right? That thing is the king of dorkiness!! Puhleese tell me you don't walk around with that thing in your ear.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

well if you think it's dorky

then it is sounds like bt is not for you. personally I think the iphone headphones and mike are dorky. you just have to do what works for you. ;)

9. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I respect your own opinion, but as what the other poster mentioned I think BT headsets are not your choice. I use it a lot, and I like how it looks. There's tons of us using the same headset at the gym, running around the neighborhood or mainly exercising. I don't see it being dorky, maybe you only.

10. patbutterfield macrumors newbie

I love my Moto S9-HD when I am INSIDE or driving. But they break up too bad outside. Even when I just turn my head or walk around. Anyone else have this problem?

11. pgicruiser macrumors newbie

Also have Plantronics 855

I also have the Plantronics 855 headphones and love them. I used to have the same problem that you do, but it appears to have disappeared. I'm not sure what I did to get back the system sounds, but I will do some experiments tomorrow, and post back, when I have it figured out. I love the flexibility of the 855s--mono or stereo, with or without ear hook, and I love the lanyard that came with it, so I can detach it from my ear when not in use. I know that what you want to do is possible, because I've done it. I just don't remember what I did to fix it, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

12. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Not to hijack the thread, but does the Motorola S9-HD have a mic? I just checked it out quickly and it looks like a great headset to have, but I'd like to be able to use it for phone calls as well as for listening to music.

13. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Not on me, I use it outside often and no problems with break up. Fits perfectly too with my head :p

Yes there's a mic and you can accept calls. Making calls however is tricky since pushing the call button twice (on the headset) doesn't activate the supposedly call last number feature which I believe is the iPhone's fault on BT profiles (or I might be wrong)

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Apple Still needs to Tweak BT

compatibility hopefully 3.1 will show more improvements. I do know I personally feel less dorky with the bt in my ears and no cord, then walking around cords dangling getting caught on things or in the way. but it's all about personal choice.