HomePod Stereo Homepods + Mac Music App Issues

Quu

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
I recently picked up two homepods. They sound great. But I mostly listen to music from the Music app on my Mac (Fully up-to date Catalina on a 16" MacBook Pro).

The issue is as follows. If I listen to a song but then use the filter feature built into the Music app to search for another song to play as I'm typing into the filter box the music already playing on the homepods keeps stopping and stuttering. The music works fine again if I stop typing into the filter box.

Is this a common issue others are having? I assume it's some kind of Music app issue. This problem doesn't occur if I'm only streaming to a single Homepod but if I have two setup in Stereo mode it happens.

I've tried restarting my Mac and restarting both Homepods, this issue is obviously quite annoying if you like to browse around your library to choose things to listen to directly after the current song.

Any help is appreciated :)

malcky77

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2019
Are you air playing from your Mac to the HomePods?

The way I use my HomePods (none are set as stereo though) is by saying “hey Siri, play all songs...shuffled” and so it then plays a random playlist of just the albums/songs I’ve added to my library.

Quu

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Yes I'm using Airplay from the Music App (the one that replaced iTunes) on my Mac. I'm not telling the HomePod what to play using my voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.