Stereo Output in a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insomniac321123, May 17, 2008.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

I have my MBP hooked up to my surround sound system via a normal 3.5mm audio cable. The only problem I am having is that no matter what source on my computer I play from, I only get audio out of the front left speaker and the bass on my system. Is there anyway to get it to at least play out of the front right speaker as well?

2. AaronChiles macrumors newbie

I am going to go ahead and say it's a problem with your setup or your MBP port. It is a stereo port and it even has a digital mini Toslink output. If you have a free Optical in on your surround sound I'd recommend buying one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=2671&seq=1&format=2

as well as an optical cable and then you'll get the digital sound to your surround sound (Dolby Digital, DTS). It works very well and if you're on Leopard it should auto switch formats and all that jazz seamlessly.

Hope this helps!

3. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

the 3.5mm cable, is it 3.5mm on both ends, or 3.5mm to red and white RCA? If the latter is the case, check the connection for the red cable, its possible you have a bad cable. Try that mini-tosslink to optical. Don't be deceived, though, you will not get dolby digital output from iTunes, only through the DVD player. You will, though, get a stereo signal from iTunes via the mini-tosslink to optical cable... if you have the available input on your audio receiver.

4. AaronChiles macrumors newbie

True about the iTunes. If you get some files from the Internet with AC3 audio it'll have all discrete channels instead of your receiver matrix-ing it out to your speakers. Definitely check the connections first though (red/white like above, and even your speaker cables).

5. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is 3.5 to 3.5, and sadly I dont have any open toslink ports on the system. I just want stereo though.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Check your amp; I know mine has two options; I can set either: receive stereo outputs stereo or receive stereo convert to surround.