Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benstagram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
I’ve made two HomePod Minis into a stereo pair to use with my Apple TV4k.
On OCCASION they work correctly.

1st problem: the AppleTV remote can control the volume of the stereo pair. It is meant to control BOTH HomePods simultaneously. But I am having the issue where it only changes the volume on 1 of the HomePods and the other stays at the volume I last used it. Restarting HomePods sometimes helps and sometimes doesn’t. But I don’t want to restart my dang HomePods every day (which is what I’ve been doing).

2nd problem has less to do with Stero Pair and more with OS15.1.1
On both HomePods when I try to view the alarms, at first there was a glitch where it had duplicated each alarm like 5 times. When I would arm one of them or try to edit or delete, the change would not register.
Fast forward a couple days (today) and the saved alarms are all gone without any of MY input.
Not to mention, the Timer feature has never worked since I got these. This occurred on both devices.

So when is the next OS cause this one makes me want Alexa back because Siri, this OS, and the UX in the HomeKit app for these devices SUCKS ROYALLY.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’ve made two HomePod Minis into a stereo pair to use with my Apple TV4k.
On OCCASION they work correctly.

1st problem: the AppleTV remote can control the volume of the stereo pair. It is meant to control BOTH HomePods simultaneously. But I am having the issue where it only changes the volume on 1 of the HomePods and the other stays at the volume I last used it. Restarting HomePods sometimes helps and sometimes doesn’t. But I don’t want to restart my dang HomePods every day (which is what I’ve been doing).

2nd problem has less to do with Stero Pair and more with OS15.1.1
On both HomePods when I try to view the alarms, at first there was a glitch where it had duplicated each alarm like 5 times. When I would arm one of them or try to edit or delete, the change would not register.
Fast forward a couple days (today) and the saved alarms are all gone without any of MY input.
Not to mention, the Timer feature has never worked since I got these. This occurred on both devices.

So when is the next OS cause this one makes me want Alexa back because Siri, this OS, and the UX in the HomeKit app for these devices SUCKS ROYALLY.
Had the same issue with the alarms, but in previous OS’s. Been better as of late. Strange. Next OS should be coming soon. Hopefully before the holidays. That’s what my time has been with Apple products lately. Hoping for the next update (which usually just ends up breaking more stuff).

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
This sounds like more of the same old HomePod behavior since the start - and why I pulled the plug on my pair. They only worked properly for short periods at a time. It was always something - with a lot of forgetting my settings. Not worth the trouble - at least not for me. I hope the next update corrects your problems, I really do.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
What's so strange about these problems is that they affect some people while others report their HomePods are working fine.

Reactions: Biro

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I have a similar setup with ATV4K and a Homepod mini stereo pair as default output. My problem is that often when I start a movie on the ATV then sound comes only from one Homepod. No diagnostics.

Benstagram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
I have a similar setup with ATV4K and a Homepod mini stereo pair as default output. My problem is that often when I start a movie on the ATV then sound comes only from one Homepod. No diagnostics.
I’ve encountered that as well. So weird.

Reactions: Basic75

Benstagram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
I may have found a solution that has helped my issues. I hard reset both HomePods and set them up as if they were brand new. I did this early this week, it’s now Saturday and I haven’t had any more issues. I recommend everyone hard reset and remove the devices from HomeKit and start fresh.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
rebooting your router might also help, They can occasionally get bogged down. Routers provided by your ISP are typically worse about this.

also if your HomePod and appleTV are in an area of weak wifi it can cause issues, everything connects back to the router, so to get from the aTV to the HomePod requires 2 poor quality jumps. Doing something to improve the wifi in that room, or hardwiring the aTVs so it's only has to make one poor quality jump can help this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.