HomePod Stereo pairing

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Shanghaichica, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Shanghaichica macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

So I’m thinking of getting another HomePod and setting it up as a stereo pair with the one I already own. I’d mostly keep them both together in the same room as I want to use them as a surround sound for my TV.

My question is occasionally I’d like to take one of them out of the room to maybe use in the kitchen. Would I need to unpair them or could I just take it into the other room? Would there be any issues with them not being in close proximity?

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Won’t be an issue. I’ve moved one from my other house and works fine

You just plug it in and it carries on working

3. Shanghaichica thread starter macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

Thanks. Gonna order another one. Just to decide on the colour. I have a white one already so I could get another white one to match but it would be good to have black too.

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Least if you get the black you know which is the left and right for stereo pairing

5. Shanghaichica thread starter macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

Ha good point and I could use the black in the kitchen so less likely to pick up any dust or dirt.

6. afir93 macrumors 6502a

This never really becomes an issue if they are both the same color either since you can identify them during the pairing process (and also afterwards at any time in the Home app) by playing a sound from whichever one is marked as left or right. ;) (And even switch left and right with a single tap if you ever mix them up when rearranging them...)

I think it's best to decide on which color combination one likes most. For me, having one gray, one white in a stereo pair would probably look too asymmetrical, so I decided to go with two space gray ones. But others might prefer to mix colors.

Also in regards to OP's original question: yes you would need to unpair/re-pair them in the Home app as the distance/arrangement doesn't matter for whether they work as a stereo pair or not (since they communicate via WiFi), but no it won't really be an issue as the pairing/unpairing process is 1-2 taps in the Home app. It might become a bit annoying if you do it frequently but it should work fine; I have done it a few times and usually the HomePods were ready to be used in stereo right after I paired them again.

7. Shanghaichica thread starter macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

Thanks for your reply. I ordered a black one as I wanted a different colour. Not too bothered about how it looks because on my tv stand I already have a HomePod, google home mini, Alexa dot and an assortment of other boxes and devices. So it doesn’t matter. Also I will use it in the kitchen so I’d rather have a darker colour in there as it’s less likely to pick up dust or dirt.

8. Shanghaichica thread starter macrumors 604

Shanghaichica

Well I changed my mind on getting a black HomePod as it might look odd in a pair. Sent the black back and I have a white one coming this morning.