Stereo Receiver Help

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
A couple weeks ago, I bought a home theater system, and have a Yamaha HTR-5935 receiver. It's a 5.1 system. I finally got around to buying some optical cables, one for my computer (Powermac G5) and one for my PS2. To try out the surround, I tried playing a DVD encoded in 5.1 on my computer. I set the audio to Dolby 5.1 in the setup menu, however, the indicator on my receiver that says what signal its getting shows it's only getting a stereo signal for the front left and right speakers (it should have all 5 speakers indicated). Thinking it was the computer, I tried the DVD in my PS2 and got the same result. I get sound, just not surround. I tried every audio option and tried damn near every option on the receiver. I've also tried 2 different DVDs (Austin Powers Goldmember and Animal House were the 2 I randomly grabbed) Anyone know how to get 5.1 surround working? Thanks

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
In DVD player preferences you have

Disc Setup >>> Audio to use digital out?

sorry i am only asking one question at a time, i am kinda busy

EDIT: have you tested the speakers to make sure they are all connected properly?

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
eva01 said:
In DVD player preferences you have

Disc Setup >>> Audio to use digital out?

sorry i am only asking one question at a time, i am kinda busy

EDIT: have you tested the speakers to make sure they are all connected properly?
Alright, that worked. I get 5.1 from the Mac. But I'd like to get it from my PS2 since that's what I'd use to watch DVDs.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
yg17 said:
Alright, that worked. I get 5.1 from the Mac. But I'd like to get it from my PS2 since that's what I'd use to watch DVDs.

well at least i got the Mac to work ^_^ unfortunately i don't own a PS2 so i can't help you there.

and woohooooo something i know about worked YAY

yg17

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yay, got the PS2 working. You have to wonder why both Sony and Apple would have Dolby output disabled by default.

Now, with surround, is it common for spoken dialoge to come out of the center speaker? With sound effects and whatnot out of the left and right speakers?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
yg17 said:
Yay, got the PS2 working. You have to wonder why both Sony and Apple would have Dolby output disabled by default.
I'm guessing most people just use stereo TVs, and/or those who want surround are more likely to figure out how to switch it t that than those who'd want stereo would be to switch it back.
yg17 said:
Now, with surround, is it common for spoken dialoge to come out of the center speaker? With sound effects and whatnot out of the left and right speakers?
Absolutely.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
yg17 said:
Alright great. Just wanted to make sure something wasn't messed up :D

well it depends

if the person is off to the left it should come off the left speakers (from looking at the TV)

and such like that

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
jsw said:
I'm guessing most people just use stereo TVs, and/or those who want surround are more likely to figure out how to switch it t that than those who'd want stereo would be to switch it back.
Most of the manuals I've read (shock! horror!) seem to imply that if you dump DD 5.1 into a digital port that only expects DD 2.0 or PCM you can get horrible noise & potentially blow out your speakers. I guess it has something to do with how it's encoded. So they leave DD 5.1 disabled by default.

B

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I had the same problem...

It made mebought like 3 cables cause i thought that was the problem.

I assume you are using the optical digital connectors...
Here is the issue. In the preferences not of the reciever but of the players, select that they output Dolby Digital (5.1 or whatever it says) and not just PCM/Stereo.