Stereo Sound in both computer and home stereo

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IslandR, Sep 30, 2008.

1. IslandR macrumors newbie

Hello Newbie here

I am new to the mac world. I want to have sound from my I Tunes play in both my computer and home stereo.

I plugged the cord into the rear of my I Mac and had sound in the stereo but not from the computer. I think the headphone jack prevents sound coming from the computer.

I do not want to split the headphone sound signal and use speakers on the desk.

Thank you

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think that's possible since when you plug in headphones it disables the internal sound.

The only solution I can think of is, you can connect an Airport Express to your speakers and then you can output to multiple speakers in iTunes.

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

To have sound from both your Mac speakers and your stereo, you need to disable the cutout switch (it's a simple little metal lever) inside the audio port of the iMac. To do it without damaging (as opposed to modifying) anything, you'll need to open your iMac to get at the audio-out port. Do you really want to do that?

The only other way I can suggest is to solder cable from the audio socket inside the iMac to a 3.5 mm audio plug outside your iMac. How you'd get the cable into the iMac could be awkward, but not impossible. You could perhaps lead the cable in through the RAM access. Just make sure the cable is fully shielded. Risky though.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I don't have a solution, but I just tried to use a USB audio out simultaneously with the internal sound.
    There isn't just a hardware defeat switch in the onboard audio out. The Sound panel in System Preferences still makes me choose between USB audio out and Internal speaker even without a plug in the onboard audio out jack.

That being said, hughvane's solution should still work because it shares the Audio Out port.

5. IslandR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone

I don't think I am up to modifying the inside of my machine yet.

may have to break down and put speakers on the desk