Stereo sound on 2007 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Elwood128, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Elwood128 macrumors newbie

I bought my Macbook in July 2007 and believe it or not I never noticed whether or not it had stereo output. :confused: I think it must have, otherwise I would have noticed it before. I know Macbook Air is mono, but I can't find any info on the white Macs. I checked sound under system preferences, but the only option is to adjust the balance which is normal.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The output is all Stereo. The output via internal speakers are Stereo for the MacBook (Pro) but it is Mono for the MacBook Air since there is only 1 speaker.

3. Elwood128 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so how do I get it to play sound from the right speaker? My music sounds lame in mono :(

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monaural

Mono is "One Channel". It'll only come out in "One" speaker usually.

Stereo is "Multi Channel"), it'll come out in 2 or more speakers depending on configuration

5. Elwood128 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I guess the left speaker is the only one being used because for example when a second guitar comes in that's supposed to be on the right it's silent and I only hear whatever's coming from the left speaker.

6. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Sucks

Man Ive got a black Macbook and the sound sucks compared to my XPS m170.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It could be the song/file you're trying to play. The plastic macbooks have 3 speakers. Left is louder then the right side. However, the right side uses 2 (Speaker + subwoofer) to match the same sound. (I might have got the left/right mixed up)

Huge difference. You're comparing a 13" vs a 17" beast.

8. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

17''??!! It's only 15''.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The 15" would be the XPS m150, the OP mentioned m170.

10. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Isn't that just on the new ones or the white MacBooks too?

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just the Al-body I believe

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Both plastic and unibody.

You stated M170, which is a 17" laptop.

13. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I just tried it in garageband, the left chanel has only one speaker where as the right has the "woofer"... Kind of stupid considering only one connection would have made the woofer mono and have the other ones true stereo. Still shouldn't be all that annoying as most low isn't hard panned, usually. And the overall sound quality isn't all that great to start with either.

14. seb-opp macrumors 6502

How can you even tell, the macbook has barely any bass response!
    Also, woofers filter out high frequencies, if you have a surround sound system and unplug all the other speakers leaving only the woofer, there will be no high response.

Therefore I assumed the macbook had a 2.1 speaker set-up. But since the speakers are so close together, I only ever notice panning when a sound is 100% panned to left or right

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The single speaker has a high frequency response while the other has a lower one. True the bass is hardly noticible, but put it next to your ear and you'll hear a difference.

16. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I made a synthesizer patch that spreads quite wide in the audio spectrum. I played it centered, pan left then pan right. There was clearly less bass at left.

Here's what I think the setup is :2 identical speakers for left and right spread left and right. A center woofer that plays only the lower tones. But the center woofer is plugged in with the right speaker but is fairly centered in the laptop. So, it only plays the bass that are in the right channel. It's not 2.1, it's stereo 2.0 but with two speakers on the right channel.

Kind of like this :

............left regular speaker
    ........../
    amp--
    .........\ low frequency speaker
    ..........\ /
    ...........right regular speaker

(dots are only there because the forum removes empty spaces at the begining of a line.)

I don't think there was an argument here, but as I said, unless you're playing hard-panned music witch is quite unusual, mind you should be noticeable in say beatles song, snow hey oh by the red hot chilli pepers (the guitar is panned right). I never really noticed before I tried it, but now it's fairly noticeable that the left side of the laptop is quieter.

17. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Stereo sound guys. Welcome to the 1980's :D :apple:

The first time I found out that my Macbook only had one speaker, I seriously cringed a little. Such is life though.