Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suellen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
When I listen to music on my iPhone using the ear buds, it seems to be in stereo. However, when I connect my iPhone to my car sound system via a single mini RCA jack, I only hear the music from my left speakers. Is this because there is only one mini jack in the car? My apologies for what seems, even to me, to be a stupid question.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I am pretty sure if you only have one side of the stereo signal, your only going to have mono.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
On an RCA cable you need Red (Right) and White (Left) to get stereo. Kinda weird that your audio system is only mono. Does it have a mini stereo jack(line-in headphone sized port)? I've only seen mono audio on old VCRs and camcorders. If you only have the one port, you might be able to adjust your balance so that 50% of the left is carried over to the right side. Also getting a stereo to mono adapter would be good. That way you can hear both channels at the same time and not just half the music.

Funny story...I had a buddy in middle school who was a little over 90% deaf in only one ear with the other ear being fine. One day we were at a baseball game with some friends, just talking about whatever, and it somehow came up that we talked about some song that had some cool stereo effects. He got upset and thought we were joking with him that each ear hears a different sound. He thought both sides were the same. It was hilarious and I still get a laugh out of it. Then he was sad the rest of the week.

suellen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
The car has one mini jack. However, I've found out that the cable I'm using is mono! I found it in a drawer full of old miscellaneous a/v cables. Will get a stereo cable today. I'm sure that will solve the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.