Sterilizing MBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Oct 20, 2009.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Similar to my sterilizing an iPhone 3gs post, I want to know how to sterilize a MBP?

I've been home sick with strep throat the past weekend, and figured it's be a good idea to clean off the MBP with something (since I've been using it).

I was told Alcohol is not safe for the computer (especially the trackpad and screen), but will an occasional alcohol sponge-bath hurt???

Better ideas?

2. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

just buy thos non-alcoholic wipes at walmart (in the electronics/computer section) and use those. I use them and they do the job plus they only cost 3-4$ for a whole pack

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do they disinfect though??? I mean strep isn't a friendly bug...

4. lumpi macrumors newbie

Before you pour alcohol on your MBP, know that strep on an aluminum body probably is long dead or non-transmissive.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I would use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel or soft cloth. Make sure you don't use so much that it drips inside anywhere, especially around the screen, in the speaker grills, the side of the touchpad, or anywhere in the keyboard. You can still clean the touchpad if you just clean the center.

If you recovered, you probably won't get whatever you had again in the near future.

6. XP Defector macrumors 6502

As someone said, I don't think micro-organisms can last that long on a dry metal surface.

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

My iKlear kit came with a special antibacterial cloth of some sort, try something like that, or just quit being paranoid, the latter is cheaper

8. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahahaha... Sorry, the latter isn't much of an option. Working 60-80 hours a week (only 20-40 are paid), just to break even every month, I can't afford to get sick.

But, because of this strep, I've been out of work for 4 days.

Call it paranoia, but I think I have a right to be concerned. :rolleyes:

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

You shouldnt be worried about it unless there is more than one person using ur mac. If you get strep on ur mac, its because you put it there and will probably already have it. Work out, take vitamins, wash your hands often, keep you fingers out of your mouth. Thats the best defense. Maybe use alcohol rub a few times a day. If all else fails, go to work sick like everyone else.

10. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

May I ask what you do in your line of work???

Our facility doesn't allow practitioners on medical floors if they have a fever or active infection. It's not wise to work with patients with compromised immune systems when you are infected with a disease yourself.

And sure, it may "just" be strep throat to you, but to some of these patients it could be a much bigger problem.

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

All this worrying is causing undo stress therefore running down your immune system.;) Sounds like you dug yourself into a corner if you cant afford to be sick, id wear a mask is i were you lol.

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

What do you do?

Seeing how you work so much, don't get paid for missed days (no sick leave), don't get paid for hours worked and allude to being a medical practitioner, I am curious.

I think a quick wipe with alcohol will suffice. Its not going to thrive on your computer.

13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Why would you even want to do that? How would you get sick from the same stuff you already had? Got HIV or been doing some chemotherapy which killed you immune system?

14. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Seconding this. 91% Isopropyl Alcohol is only a $1.50 (NJ) at Wal-Mart.

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I use Lysol disinfecting wipes. Just wipe off the residue quickly after applying. I have had no problems with it affecting glossy or matte LCD's. Whenever I have to bring a customers computer in I always give the computer and cords a thorough wipe down. So that I don't contaminate anything else of mine. I also always use Purell whenever leaving their houses or businesses.

How am I supposed to know if they just got over an illness or perform best unspoken activities at their computer:eek:? I just play it safe.