"Sterilizing" the MBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Dec 9, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I regularly wipe my MBP down, dampening the black cloth, powering down, and giving her a bath...

But with just the water, it doesn't feel 100% out of the box clean. Are there any household items I could use to clean it off (Alcohol?).

And as for the screen... as much as I try I can't get the bugger 100% clean! If I use the water, I sometimes get spotting. I refuse to wash it dry, as on my MBP, it got a few little scratches that annoyed the heck out of me... I have a matte screen...

Also, any solutions for the Rubberized antenna cover at the base of the screen? The black cloth just leaves it all blacked up with lint...

Finally (For now) the speaker grills! Boy am I jealous of you late 2008 MBP owners! My early 2008 MBP has little crumbs, or lint or something stuck in it. How do I get it out?! I thought about a vaccuum, but I'm afraid the Dyson will suck the innards out... and I've tried compressed air, but all that has done is wasted my precious $$$

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

eh i dont know. but then again i am not ocd on my macs being sterile. i just like to keep the dust off and i call it good

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL... Yes, a little OCD.... But it also keeps me thinking I have a brand new machine... So I'm less tempted to run down to the apple store to buy a new MBP :rolleyes:

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Try masking tape on the rubber, it should take the lint right off. The same might work for the speaker grilles but idk seeing as i dont have a mbp to try it on.

5. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, I like this one! I'll have to try it!

Keep 'em coming!

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Still like the damp corner on the chamoise method, while Apple included a fake one with the aluminum iMacs.

The real ones are rather cheap at Wallyworld if you don't have one.

7. tdevers macrumors regular

I use LCD cleaner for the entire computer with a lint free cloth. Works well on the iMacs so I assume it would be good for a MBP. Works wonders on the screen. Mine is always spotless after a good cleaning.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Don't know about the MBP, but for black and white polycarbonate MacBooks, nothing beats Magic Erasers that is for sure- unless you are using iKlear as mentioned above.

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

1/2 90% rubbing alcohol + 1/2 tap water + Fellowes Microfiber cloth (~$4) = sterilized, fingerprint and lint-free MBP :)

Oh but it will leave streaks on the screen. Clean the screen first using only water or wait for the alcohol to evaporate, then use just lightly dampened microfiber cloth and wipe left and right pressing somewhat firmly to clean off any fingerprints/cheez-it residue lol

When you're done, just wash the microfiber cloth in the sink using a drop of dish soap and rinse. This has kept my laptops clean and fingerprint free for years.

I've found that a straight pin or needle does well for retrieving those little pieces from the speaker grill. That black material appears to have some sort of adhesive pointing upward to make it stick on the underside of the case which creates a sticky situation when particles get in there. A vacuum or compressed air won't be enough to pry them loose in my experience. Perhaps a toothbrush, or something else that will not harm the finish could work as well.

I would advise those with aluminum computers to be weary magic erasers as they leave very fine scratches. It's great for the plastic MB & iBooks because it has a polishing effect, but just remember how that gloss gets there (fine scratches).

Cheers :)

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Just get iklear. Its not overpriced windex as far as I know, but an actual solution thats safe for the entire machine (minus the trackpad). One bottle has lasted m for about 14 months (still over half left) and takes off smudges and anything else painlessly.

Don't use alcohol, please. And if you will use water, atleast get the distilled variety.

11. Mercellus macrumors regular

I like to use iKlear, it works great. I know a friend of mine who uses a magic eraser on their MacBook Pro and it didn't cause any visible damage.

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

For the EXterior?? Distilled is only necessary when you're cleaning internal components to prevent a short...
    Also if you read the main ingredient in iKlear I'm sure it lists some type of Alcohol.

13. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Might want to try one of those "lint rollers" for the rubber back area.

Just curious, are you the type to use a cloth/hanky when turning door knobs?

14. ra noodle Guest

drewsof07

this is basically what i use....but....don't ever used lacquer thinner as i stupidly did thinking the "dirt" on a MBP was dirt so i used everything else and then lacquer thinner-thats when i realized it wasn't dirt, that is was the silver PAINT gradually rubbing off, that's when i realized the MBP keys are plastic not metal with plastic inserts underneath. and i use a micro fiber also and last but not least good ole Pledge wood furniture spray for cleaning the exterior....but what gets me is to get at all the crap thats under the keys/keyboard....the spray cans don't have a mini tube to stick down underneath because i saw a keyboard lifted off once and the amount of crap surprised me....all the cans of air didn't get any of it. and i could upside down spray it but i'd have to lightly hit the MBP to loosen the crap which from the skins sweat probably gets sticky?

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

:eek::eek::eek: That was not wise. But this is how we learn right? If it's really that dirty I would suggest removing the key caps and using a low-suction sweeper to get the crap under them.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

From the Website: