Steve and Philanthropy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Nebrie, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Found this comment here and thought it was incredibly insightful and important: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/l2dla/why_is_reddit_which_is_mostly_in_support_of/c2p95hw

------------------------------------------------------------

"Was incredibly wealthy, but was publicly and vocally against donating to charity"

I posted about this a few weeks ago, but bull ****ing ****.

He was against the whole pompous ******** that came from publicly giving to charity. And felt that the areas that he cared around were areas that may have put his company under scrutiny if he publicly came out and supported it.

I have run two charities over the last decade or two, and ANYTIME I asked my contacts at Apple, the company responded with both products and cash. And the demand that we not use their name in any way as for supporting our cause, or giving anything to the promotion. As such, I won't say what these were for -- but they were pretty noncontroversial in nature. Yet the person that handled everything between Apple and my company said it was better for the company to remain neutral in all things -- both because they don't want to be accused of not supporting causes...but also not accused of supporting causes that others might be interested in. I do know at least one request had a note from Steve attached in response.

All I can say is that I was happy with what they did...I still have a G4 (the grey and white) sitting in my music room that was given directly to me with a note telling me that it was mine personally to support my works. At the time, it was the top of the line machine, with a DVD Burner (which alone cost over $1000) and a HUGE monitor that we used to edit videos of our work (I was a musician at one point in my career, and a lot of my charity fundraisers had former colleagues and their bands and we used the DVDs of the shows as supplemental funds).

I do know right now, I've heard of a lot of different areas that Apple is donating and supporting. A major medical center had a half billion $$$ gift anonymously and then later Jobs was seen visiting the location. I know gay rights groups have had a lot of support -- both internally with policies the company has in place for their employees as well as monies given to combat some of the bigger donors (i.e., the Mormon Church) who were trying to attack the culture in California. And Apple won't even comment about Cook -- even though it is a well known 'secret'. Why? Because they have to appear neutral for the sake of the stock...even if they are doing good behind doors.

That said, I'm a mac-fanboy. I won't deny it. And I use to hate Microsoft as a result...and yet, Gates' Foundation as well as Microsoft itself have given a lot of money to my orgs...they both gave very specific instructions on how to display their donations -- down to relative size of their name on any published media. Ya know what? I was glad to do it and can't begrude anyone for saying I'M GIVING YOU MONEY, GIVE US CREDIT...and I'm more than grateful for them doing this. The thing is, it is a different culture and both do good.

And either way, unless you are a major stockholder -- its none of your business how they spend their money either way...

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

3. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Hmm the original post has been deleted but not the replies...:confused:

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The "charity" should be noted in their tax filings as they are a publicly traded company, I imagine most of the charity that apple donated to was political in nature. I.e. Lobbying.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

They could just not take the deduction. Unless you've gone through their tax books...

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Again a publically traded company cannot just give out money and not notate it in their balance sheets. Given the amount of money apple makes their "goodwill" is abysmal.