Steve Ballmer on MacBook Air and Apple

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Blue Velvet, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.dailytech.com/Steve+Ballmer+Gets+Candid+at+MIX08/article11003c.htm

I don't know about CEOs that bark like dogs during interviews.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Bill Gates must love Apple to have left that guy in charge. I mean seriously, how much less professional can you get?!

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, he is a quite unique CEO, isn't him? At least he is honest about his distaste of apple.

the article itself said Steve has more "serious exchange", which apparently nobody really cares...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I demand a Youtube remix, right now. :eek:

EDIT: "So why do you want to buy Yahoo? What's the deal with that?" Hehehe :)

7. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Anyone know what kind of Toshiba PC he's likely to be using, if it's supposedly lighter? Just curious.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Always my favorite jab at Ballmer.

There is no lighter Toshiba. The lightest Toshiba's and Sony's clock in at just over 4 lbs.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, Toshiba has or at least had the R500, which weighs in at 1.7 lbs in smallest config.

http://www.geek.com/toshiba-r500-notebook/

So that might be it.

I have to say the interview was a lot less acerbic than that article makes it out to be, having so far watched the first ten minutes or so. It's actually quite congenial, and Ballmer has some guardedly positive things to say about Apple, which are very reasonable considering who he is.

His physical comedy just scares me though. I think particularly because he must weigh nearly twice as much as me. His presence is kind of disturbing....

10. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Good find, interesting. VGA port? These days?

What? :confused:

Too tired to even think about what this means right now.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I didn't look at it too carefully. My Eee actually has a VGA port, also, although I don't use it. Some people argue that a VGA port is a better call on a business notebook, because it'll be guaranteed to work without an adapter with any projectors you run into.... And of course, my HDTV has its own VGA port also.

Also btw this Sony's current lighter notebook, I think... around 2.7 lbs.

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/page.do?page=/TZShowcase/tzSpecs.html&name=TZ Specifications

And I let the video run in the background and finally got to the Macbook Air part (which was about 20 minutes after the chihuahua incident :p ) ... also pretty overblown. Fairly congenial.

12. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks. Good point. Can't see beyond my own limited needs. :eek:

I'm no 'road warrior'. :D

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Dancing like a monkey gets old after a while, you gotta come up with something new.

14. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Wow. I clicked to watch Steve Ballmer's "web developer" dance, and didn't realize turning down the volume first would be wise. Now I can't get my cat to come out from under the bed!

My opinion is that competition in the industry is good for consumers. I don't get paid to endorse, or slam any particular brand, so whoever makes the coolest, most functional, cost efficient machine wins my hard earned dollars. I happen to land on Apple, because right now, they are winning at creating what I want.

The little Toshiba was kind of cute, but it looks like an Asus EEE on 'roids. I prefer a keyboard I can comfortably type on, and attaching a USB keyboard sort of defeats the purpose of having a lightweight laptop. I have a MBP, and have never carried disk media (DVD's, CD's) with me when I'm out and about.

The article aroused a few cartoon images of Ballmer juggling his Toshiba and a few DVD's/CD's, while "dancing", barking, sweating, and loudly proclaiming how much lighter it is than the Air, repeatedly mashing his finger on the trackpad buttons, trying to find that sweet spot that actually allows them to work, and hitting the backspace key to correct all his typos made by big fingers on a tiny little keyboard. :)

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And some people complain about Steve Jobs' eccentricities. Ballmer seems to have derived his management style from Bobcat Goldthwait.

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I don't get it. The guy has been in management for how long? And he's always like a beginner when it comes to projecting his persona. Perhaps he's an awesome CEO in operational terms - but he sure doesn't do himself any favours with those mannerisms that that voice... straight out of nerd central. You can see how tense he is in speeches or in public situations, which drives up the pitch of the voice even more - hard to believe he's still nervous after all this time. Gates may come across as just as nerdy but he's a lot more relaxed in public.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

eccentricity is the least problem I have with Mr. Jobs. I can tolerate ppl with big ego, as long as they are honest.

Every CEO has problems. Perfect CEO hasn't been born yet.

18. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I can't help but wonder if he's not geek entertainment at Microsoft to some degree. While I'm positive that nobody there is mocking him to his face, I am almost as certain there are a few Ballmer impersonators roaming the halls, who struggle to maintain their decorum during his addresses. I know I wouldn't be able to resist.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, my thoughts exactly. i just can't believe some of the things this guy does, and why he's still the CEO

20. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

When will Ballmer learn that the only people listening to him are Microsoft's primary customers and Windoze Fanboys???

22. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I watched the whole thing last night and it is hard to believe any words that come out of his mouth. What he did with that dudes MacBook Air was uncalled for I think. :(

23. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Just watching it now and I agree - the guy's a nut. However, what he said about IE:mac (the reasons for not bringing it again) deserves respect: the guy knows when he should leave it along. Safari ftw.

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, if it's not design and innovation, then it's PR stunts... :eek: