Steve Fossett Missing

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WildCowboy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Steve Fossett's plane has not been heard from since last night. He took off from western Nevada with enough fuel to last four or five hours and did not file a flight plan. Not looking good... :(

Link

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I wish the article mentioned the type of craft

3. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Rreports are saying it was his single-engine Bellanca Super Decathlon.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not the kind of airplane usually used for cross-county flying. Aerobatics, and training, mainly. I'm surprised that nobody seems to know where he was headed.

FWIW, hardly anyone files flight plans for VFR.

5. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Seems like he was supposed to return to the ranch he took off from. He apparently didn't have a parachute, which would have been required had he intended to do acrobatics.

Apparently this is the aircraft he was flying.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The airplane should also have had an operable ELT (emergency locator transmitter), which should make it easy to find especially if he was flying locally.

I've never seen that site before. Somebody has actually taken pictures of my airplane too. Wild.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Eek! I used to skydive from little planes like that. The ride up was scarier than actually jumping. I was always relieved to get out of the thing. I hope they find him and I hope he's OK, but I guess it doesn't look so good.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Am I the only one who finds it slightly odd that they can't find it.

...It's not like the plane vanished over the Pacific in the mid-1900s. ...This is 2007!

:confused:

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

it's quite easy Eric. no offense, but have you flown over non-populated areas of north america? It can be extremely thick. if a plane were to bust through top canopy of a thick forest, it could be well hidden.

i've been deer hunting where i've walked on such tree roots and thick junipers, that I wasn't even on the ground and I was up 2 or 3 feet.

easily done unfortunately.

as 'good' as humans are, we'll never conquer this planet :)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think it's very odd. I can't recall the last time I heard of an airplane disappearing over land in the U.S. If the airplane crashed, the ELT could be heard by anyone with a radio flying within miles of it. And this is desert country we're talking about, not jungle. I'd call it quite puzzling.

11. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

kinda sounds like something someone would do if they didn't want to be found :confused:

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That is weird. It's been what? Two days now? You'd think they would know something.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I suspect alien abduction.

I read a quote in the paper this morning from somebody who said (more or less) that if Steve Fossett was killed in this way then it would be like a NASCAR driver being killed while parking a Camry. I also flashed on George Carlin's old ironic headline, "Jacque Cousteau dies in bathtub accident."

14. gazelleintense macrumors regular

gazelleintense

hope hes ok, but I find him to be annoying.

has tons of money and nothing better to do than to do something to "get himself" in the limelight and get his name and pic in the news every so often.

must have a major ego? or needs a life? or both?

anyway, hope they find him, it's not looking good.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Apparently he was wearing a Breitling Emergency watch, which should also emit an emergency frequency.

16. sanford macrumors 65816

Googling for Missing Fossett

From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/11/fossett.search.ap/index.html

Isn't this sort of, well, stupid? Aren't Google's and Yahoo's and the different publicly available satellite photography of regions, especially non-urban, low-populations regions not updated all that often? For example, using Google's satellite map for our street, the same car as been parked in front of our townhouse for a year, although that car is never there anymore and obviously belonged to some one a while back when the photograph was last updated. And we're in a large urban area where building and development is ongoing, for which you would expect more frequent updates.

So isn't it highly unlikely Google would have a satellite photo available to the public current enough to show the wreckage of Fossett's plane?

17. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

didn't read the link, but yeah, those maps aren't updated that often. . . unless someone pulled some strings to get updated sat pics of the area

18. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The only way I could see this being at all useful is if they were using the older Google satellite images to rule out certain debris sightings as Fossett's crash site.

19. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

When the news about Google helping first came out last week, it was mentioned that they were working with their satellite vendor to get recent photos of the area, but there wasn't a scheduled fly-over until this past weekend. I assume they have some new photos now, but I'm not sure if they're available to the general public on the Google Maps site. I would think not.

20. sanford macrumors 65816

That's what I thought. This would be a kind of non-story story about Hey, look what folks are doing with the Internet. Ruling out debris or geological formations that could mimic the appearance of a plane crash makes sense; but I'd think the average Web surfer isn't qualified to even point these out -- they'd get a million phone calls and e-mails -- let alone rule them out.

Overwhelming odds are that hurrying to find him in time, the only change in outcome will be the condition of his corpse when they find him. Sad, but true. He almost surely died in the crash or shortly thereafter.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I heard a report that there were 50 something planes that had crashed in the area they are searching.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Fossett has been missing for an entire week now. Unless he's pulled an Aimee Semple McPherson (look it up!), I don't expect he'll be found alive.

23. sanford macrumors 65816

Oh joy. Making current satellite photography not requiring a top secret security clearance virtually useless even to experts in search/rescue image analysis.

Flat out his distress transponder or transmitter should have been manually activated when he knew he was going down hard or automatically after the crash. If the crash was so severe it destroyed the distress unit, which should have been pretty well shielded, it's possible he survived but unlikely.

I'd say you or I might not make it an entire week in the wild, but Fossett might, if he was carrying at least some water or located a nearby clean water source. But I still think he died of injuries sustained in the crash.

As for McPherson, similar but different, you know how many people who died in WTC 9/11 or Katrina who are living somewhere in the world under an assumed name? At least a few. Every large multi-fatality, missing-body disaster at least couple people use it as an opportunity to drop out, run away and start over.

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i haven't heard much about this lately, i just hope it doesn't turn out unsolved in the end.