Steve Jobs a GENIUS, or what???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by RawBert, Jan 22, 2010.

1. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Okay, Honestly... Do you consider Steve Jobs a GENIUS, or what???

Seriously, I only consider a real genius to be along the lines of Da Vinci and Einstein. And a few others in human history. Steve, in my opinion, has a quality to be among those few that are worthy of being considered as such. Call me short-sighted, if you will. I see him in that light.

Your thoughts...

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple / Steve Jobs popularized many things that other companies don't see values in, or are unable to figure out how to use in the real world.

Changed the computer industry with personal computer
    Popularized GUI / mouse
    Popularized Wifi
    Changed the portable music player industry
    Changed the music industry
    Changed the mobile industry
    Maybe more

SJ's Pixar is also successful. It turned into Disney stock currently worth around $5 billion.

3. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

When I think of SJ, I think of a man who is a creative ideas genius. He seems to know how to make a cool design be able to attract people. If he were not the co-founder of Apple, he could have been a genius artist of some sort.

As seeing SJ as a business person, I would say he started from being terrible to learning how to be pretty good at running a company. As for business geniuses, that title would have to belong to Bill Gates.

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I adore Steve myself, but I don't think I'd consider him a genius.

I would call him a master salesman, possibly the greatest innovator from late 20th century to current day.

He's obviously very intelligent, but I don't know if his IQ is quite up their with Einstein.

5. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Wasn't that attributable to Gates being in the right place at the right time, with making the DOS deal with IBM?

(Of course, the same argument might be made with Jobs - - it's just that he seems to keep moving to the next right place at the next right time...)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

yes timing is everything but he also licensed DOS to IBM when at the time he did not own DOS. He ran out after that and snapped up QDOS. Now that's genius

As Jobs. I'd say he's gifted with insight innovation, driven for perfection but no he's no genius

7. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Not only is a business genius one who has timing over luck (which they can make), but somebody who outmaneuvers their competition time and time again. What makes BG such a business genius is that he didn't do it with stuff he came up with, or with really any exceptional products. Because of that I don't put BG in the creative genius category, but more of a business genius.

If he's not a business genius, BG has an unusual talent for starting a company, making it grow, and make a decent amount of money for himself. I am glad he decided to give some of it away and help others.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Agreed. A good business man. I also think he is secretly good at conning people without anyone realising it.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

"genius" criminal ;)

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Really?

Personally, I think Gates is somewhat overrated. He was a one hit wonder that happened to hit it big. I equate him to winning the lottery.

While Gates did successfully negotiate the licensing deal with IBM, his success as the CEO of Microsoft is mixed at best. He championed oddball projects like Microsoft Bob, forced the Windows team to ship Windows 98, 98SE and ME purely for profit reasons, personally led a vendetta to kill Netscape and America Online, among other strange strategies.

People forget it was Gates who drove Microsoft to adopt the monopolistic business practices and anti-competitive strategies that they’re still getting sued for today.

His DOJ deposition really shows his true character. He pretty much outright lies to federal investigators. The entire thing is worth a view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYLBA1Ldq6M&feature=related

I think he’s biggest contribution to society will be what he does with his Foundation, not what he did at Microsoft.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

That is kinda what I meant without fully implying it.

13. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Steve Jobs has a very good taste, and his strong will makes his ideas into reality.

Honestly, I consider Bill Gates more genius than Steve Jobs.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In a business sense, definitely.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

16. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Steve Jobs' talents lie in choosing the right designs, but not creating anything himself. He has always only sold the work of others.

The Apple I and II were Wozniak's ideas and products.

The Lisa and Mac were basically rip offs of the Xerox Star.

The iPod was not the first mp3 player.

And the iPhone certainly was not the first smart phone.

He doesn't design anything himself, he only approves or rejects.
    He doesn't even think of a product name himself, he listens to suggestions and then chooses.

Steve Jobs is a sales person and a decision maker. But back in the 80s, he almost killed Apple with his choices and decisions. That's why they fired him. And NeXT wasn't a real success either - unless you count selling the company to Apple as a success.

He did good with Pixar, though.

17. su12 macrumors newbie

he is a marketing genius, we talk about him in my mkt class most of the time.

although the apple does help

18. glowfly macrumors member

maybe a sales person, and a very good one infact, if i might add, but not a genius for sure!

19. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

You make it sound easy.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Genius, no.

Visionary who had the will and the ability to make his personal dreams into a reality changing the world THREE times so far? Hell yes.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

IBM was afraid of Apple, thus gave Microsoft the key to the PC kingdom.
    Bill Gates is more on the level of "genius" as Bernard Madoff. Selling something you don't have. Hum...

Genius quote! =)

22. iOrlando macrumors 68000

there is no exact definition of what a genius is. It mainly depends on you, so everyone is right.

with that said I would lump Woz and Jobs as modern-day geniuses for all the things they have done.

23. Frisco macrumors 68020

I consider Steve Jobs a very good used Cars salesperson.

24. iLina macrumors member

I like how steve jobs relate evething with a beatles quote :)