Steve Jobs' Amazon Account Hacked

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by nutritious, May 14, 2009.

1. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

From the article:

The hacker claims he sent Jobs a phony but official-looking email that tricked him into logging onto a fake Amazon.com website — a common phishing tactic.

The hacker said the scam is an embarrassment for Apple, which claims Macs are less susceptible to “viruses, crashes and headaches.” (See Apple’s new “Elimination” ad).

“Imagine how safe Mac is if you can trick the mighty Steve Jobs,” orin0co wrote.

Sounds like a fake to me. What's having someone respond to fake e-mail have to do with Mac security anyway?

4. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Hypothetically, let's say I have a billion dollars, similar to the CEO in question here.

Do those people go to the grocery store? Do they actually go to Barnes and Noble to buy stuff with a credit card?

Seems to me that if I had that kind of money, I would avoid any and all online risks like that. If I wanted something, I could probably have a dedicated "you do that stuff" gopher or something. Not to be crass, but I mean, does Jobs sit around all day on Amazon and just click stuff?

Somehow I doubt it.

Then, again, billionaires or not, they're people too, and I suppose would have some habits just like the rest of it.

I call BS, though.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, i highly doubt this is real

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I dunno. How many Fortune 100 CEOs answer customer e-mails? Jobs is a different breed. I have no doubt that he has an Amazon account.

However, this so-called hack looks completely fake. I can change my Amazon's account name to Steve Jobs too.

What's with the blocking of the name of the HBO mini-series and Blu-ray disc?

The Wired reporter should have PayPal'ed the "hacker" the money, got the account information and filed a chargeback. :D

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Fake story to try to get BR support into DVD Player? :p

8. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Im thinking that if this was steve jobs, id imagine he has people buying stuff for him sometimes, and even checking one of his many emails. Im sure he has one email for close apple people to get ahold of him, as well as many sub mails.

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Wouldn't say it's impossible but.. more likely to be nonsense..

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Does anyone really save their credit card info on Amazon? It's not very hard to type it in, and if someone gets access to your account, it makes it a lot harder for them to actually find anything worthwhile.

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I doubt Jobs even has an amazon account. I'm sure he can call Jeff anytime and just get what he wants.

12. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Steve Jobs has a minimalist lifestyle... i highly doubt he buy useless stuffs at amazon... or buy stuffs online... especially with his health issue...

13. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Ya I am guessing no account under his name precisely for this reason......Possible he has one under an assumed name though.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

doesnt matter b/c most credit cards linked to this stuff are zero liability