Steve Jobs and Charity

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by spblat, Oct 7, 2011.

1. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I have an intuition that Jobs engaged in meticulous estate planning. My intuition is that his insane wealth will be put to use in service of a public good that measures up to the likes of Gates or Buffett. My intuition is that he has kept these plans secret for his own reasons and that his estate will make them public according to his plans and on his terms. If my intuition doesn't bear out I will be a little disappointed in him. Your thoughts?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What the man did/does/wants to do with his own "stuffs" is his own business and none of mine

Nor is it anyone's business what I do with mine

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

But you don't have 7 billion dollars. Anybody with that sort of money has a responsibility to practice philanthropy.

I imagine Mr Jobs wanted to keep his considerations private.

4. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

his money..

I am sure he gave millions to things. and billions to his family... it's his choice in the end.

i'm sure he spent millions for his cancer treatments.. you don't live that long with pancreatic cancer...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You don't have a responsibility to do anything because you have a lot money. There isn't any law that requires him to give a share to charity. Every single cent of Steve's wealth is hard earned, it didn't just fall from the sky.

It's not really our business. Whatever Steve chose to do with his money, we should respect his decision.

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

There is no law banning misanthropy either. Mr Jobs was a Buddhist. This is what they say about charity;

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/whatbudbeliev/168.htm

I agree it is none of our business, but I believe it completely wrong to assume Mr Jobs hasn't made provisions concerning charity. It is a given that he would do so anonymously.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I never assumed that Steve had no plans about giving money for charity. I simply said he is under no obligation to do so, it's 100% up to him. It's unlikely that we will ever know as like you said, he would most likely do it anonymously.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Its not like he won a huge lotto jackpot or something... He earned all that money, so I reckon he can do what he wants with it.

Not that its any of our business...

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't be surprised if he left a decent amount to charity, but I don't expect we will ever hear about it. He never publicly gave much to charity, and I doubt that in his will he would start.

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Other than his wife and kids, his money is nobody's business...

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"its nobody business...." Enough. The guy lived a public life and has billions. There is nothing wrong with discussing what he might have done with his money. Nobody is saying we should pass a law and force people to give to charity but we have every right to be disappointed in someone if they have so much and gave back so little.

12. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

Warren Buffett and Bill Gates asks Steve jobs to give away wealth, he declined...
    Despite accumulating an estimated $8.3 billion fortune through his holdings in Apple and a 7.4 percent stake in Disney (through the sale of Pixar), there is no public record of Jobs giving money to charity. He is not a member of the Giving Pledge, the organization founded by Warren E Buffett and Bill Gates to persuade the nation's wealthiest families to pledge to give away at least half their fortunes. (He declined to participate, according to people briefed on the matter.) Nor is there a hospital wing or an academic building with his name on it.
    Not taking away anything from Steve, but he was just that, a creative innovator and business man. There's a fine line between Steve and Bill

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Maybe he just didn't want it publicized; his call anyway. Who are we to stand in judgement of others in such matters?

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, THIS.

Steve Jobs was a very private person overall, so it would not be surprising if he wanted his charitable givings to be kept private. Just because he didn't form a foundation and publicize his actions doesn't mean he wasn't doing anything. Lots of wealthy people give away tons of money without alerting the media.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Had to remove a few overly-political posts. Let's try to keep this one out of PRSI. Thanks.

16. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Thank you.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How come? It's not like there was a reality show of Steve's life. Sure it was public in some degree since he was famous (and still is), but that doesn't mean that we actually know who he was. Most of his life was very private, given that we didn't even know his state of health before his death.

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I agree that he lived a very private life, and I feel he was completely entitled to that, but it's still perfectly reasonable to expect someone with more money than a many small countries to give to those less fortunate. From what I've read in the last few days, he did give completely anonymously (as did Apple), so maybe I've been too harsh on him.

19. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Let him keep private things private.

He lived pretty humble compared to a lot of people in positions like him, I'm sure he enjoyed being a 'rock star' on stage, but privately, I'm sure he contributed a lot, for the sake of the cause, not to be praised of men.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I agree and well said. The government does not give us any free money. Let's see if they share any of their oil wealth from Dakota with their Citizens like they do in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Steve's money and wealth is his money and not any one else. Government can take care of its self.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Here's the thing- anyone who does amazing things like Steve Jobs has already given the world more than he got- far more. Most people with this amount of money have not- not even close. That's all I have to say.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

None of us have any idea whether of not he gives to charity. Based on all his wife does, I'd bet they do.

Also, from Cult of Mac: