Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
2. Human User Interface. Kinect is just the start. I can only imagine what Apple are working on right now in this area.

You do know that the person who made the Kinect approached Apple first...and Apple said no. So he walked down the road to Microsoft.

I highly doubt Apple want such a thing. Besides it's almost completely pointless.

Lazrhog

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
UK
You do know that the person who made the Kinect approached Apple first...and Apple said no. So he walked down the road to Microsoft.

I highly doubt Apple want such a thing. Besides it's almost completely pointless.

I doubt Apple want Kinect too ... However, they are in the User Interface business now, so you have to admit, they are probably looking at other ideas other than using your finger

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Indeed. That was the message from Apple and the story was on mac rumours some time back. I cannot stand the childish posts regarding Steve Jobs and how apple is doomed without him. It's an incredible insult to the rest of the people working at Apple. People who make those posts show a high level of ignorance about how things work in a corporate company. They also forgot the countless mishaps that happened when Steve Jobs was around.

That is a great way of putting it (bolded). Diminishing the value of current employees because he died is indeed ignorant.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

He walked from Cupertino to Redmond? Impressive!

And I'd have a hard time calling Kinect pointless, but it does seem to lack a use case in general computing. Game console is the right place for it.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I don't think he'd like the rMBP or Mac mini simply because they have HDMI ports.
And I don't think he'd like the iPhone 5 because it looks too similar to the 4 and 4S...maybe I don't know Steve enough?

Somehow I have to believe that a year ago these features existed, and that Jobs knew and approved of them.

Or do you really believe that after he left Apple, Tim Cook decided then to add an HDMI port and redesign the iPhone?

Let's be realistic here.

And that goes back to my OP and the questions I love to have answered ...

What kind of production schedule is involved in a typical Apple device? How late in that schedule could a new CEO swoop in and change the design?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think we should now be at a point where we don't keep asking what would Steve think.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I don't think he'd like the rMBP or Mac mini simply because they have HDMI ports.

Or, did the Mac mini have an HDMI port ages ago?

You know, there's this thing called Google that will show how silly this thought/point even was. The Mac Mini has had HDMI ports since 2010 when they introduced this current form factor. Further, the rMBP came out in June of last year. That was only about 7-8 months after Steve passed away. Do you really think they completely redid the hardware to add an HDMI port in 7-8 months? While Steve preferred the MDP/TBD port, he also understands he is/was in the business of selling computers and needs to cater (at least somewhat) to standard ports.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
What kind of production schedule is involved in a typical Apple device? How late in that schedule could a new CEO swoop in and change the design?

I do not know about Apple, but the typical industrial design process in Japan is more or less what we have below.

Cars and bikes: ~5 years
Household appliances: 2~3 years
Gadgets: 1~2 years

Certain product categories move faster. The little, more seasonal stuff like mobile phones typically are designed and prototyped within a year, and on sales floor within 6 months. That's before smartphones made things complicated.

That's for the entire process, from concept to prototyping to retail.

They're basically the same world-wide, but Apple is infamous for being a little more meticulous. The one thing they don't do (which is bloody enviable from a designer's point of view) is bloody focus groups, it's a waste of time and money because the executives (non-designers/engineers) will often pander to the middle ground, thus creating an average product that tries to please everyone but is rarely memorable or revolutionary.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
You can bet that the eyes on Jobs' portraits, placed in every room, follow and terrify anyone who might otherwise deviate from his path.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
I think it wows everybody how anyone can be so XXX to think that Jobs didn't have its full hands on all of the list above.
Or maybe you think that there was a revolutionary product pipeline ready to be launched that was scrapped the day after he passed so that they could finally spend some quality months in designing an entirely new product line? Do you have a remotely vague idea of how much time is needed for products like Apple sell to move from idea-stage to mass-production? I guess not.

Get a clue on how a company work before posting again.

what does any of this have anything to do with what i said, which is apple no longer have a visionary for new products in the future.

i think you need to get your head checked or learn to read. Probably both though.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I saw a leaked schedule for a game development company earlier this year (one of the largest ones), it went ahead in detail, month by month, for 5 years.

Tech companies no doubt have more advanced schedules for similar periods of time. Jobs' own influence will be felt strongly for the next few years. Wait and see the iPhone 6 and the iTV (or whatever it's called). I reckon those will be Jobsian. After that we'll see how Ives and Cook really work in a Jobs vacuum.

Anyone that thinks the iPhone 5/5s or 2012 - 2016 iMac isn't Jobs' baby is horribly naive in my personal view. The culture and approach steered by Jobs will felt in a more subtle way for a longer time to come, unless Apple has some terrible shakeups over the next decade.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
what does any of this have anything to do with what i said, which is apple no longer have a visionary for new products in the future.

i think you need to get your head checked or learn to read. Probably both though.

Mate, you listed an X number of points as proof that Apple has lost its vision since Jobs departed.
The X points you have listed are at 99% the direct result of Jobs' work and vision.

Do another list in 1 or 2 years and you might have a point.

For the time being, i suggest you defrag.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
If you considerfor how long there was no new iMac and for how long Mr. Jobs is dead it´s very much save to say that he was behind this new design all the way.

I´ed even say it´s likely he signed of on plans that go ahead at least 2-4 years. But "Steve would not have don it this way" will be a fact of Apples live from now on. Whenever something happens person x dos not like he will be moaping about his vision getting altered which is likely to be wrong since there are a ton of people at work that have been in Apples sense of style for many years - and why would they change their attitude if it pretty much has been crushing everyone in the marked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.