Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
That's what I didn't understand about yesterday. Apple sells a number of Desktop computers!

Apple's Mobile Devices:
iPod
iPhone
MacBook/MacBook Pro
iPad

Apple's Non Mobile Devices
Apple TV
Mac Pro
Mac Mini
iMac

They're about even.
It's not the number of lines, but where the sales numbers and focus is. They sell more of the mobile devices, and results in a larger chunck of their net profits. So that's where the design focus is.

That's not to say the desktop will disappear, but I do think it will shift it's main focus more on the iMac (more than it already is), as by adding LightPeak (fast enough to handle high speed storage requirements such as RAID), it would be able to replace the MP to Apple's way of thinking (they like thin + external devices to solve specific needs).

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
It's not the number of lines, but where the sales numbers and focus is. They sell more of the mobile devices, and results in a larger chunck of their net profits. So that's where the design focus is.

That's not to say the desktop will disappear, but I do think it will shift it's main focus more on the iMac (more than it already is), as by adding LightPeak (fast enough to handle high speed storage requirements such as RAID), it would be able to replace the MP to Apple's way of thinking (they like thin + external devices to solve specific needs).

I'm never buying a desktop computer with the screen built into it. I hate that concept.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'm never buying a desktop computer with the screen built into it. I hate that concept.
I don't care for it myself, but Apple loves it. :eek: :D :p

So OS X users are likely to not have a choice, save a Hackintosh route, and if the kexts aren't developed for PCIe devices (graphics cards for example), that will be harder as well, though not necessarily impossible. There are some very talented (and determined) people in the community. ;)

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Well every computer report you here now Laptops are basicly outselling Desktops heck every Best Buy ad i see every sunday i See only Laptops maybe one Desktop. I thikn 5 years you will deffintly see a increase in the Laptops than Desktops. I think my next Mac will probally be a MacBook probally.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Whats to say the desktop line isn't making money...

He only said those mobile devices are the top three sellers.

The company is making crap loads of money, and for all you know the desktops could be making 1% less than the lowest profit making mobile device.

It does not instantly mean 'oh my gawd!!! the worlds going to end for desktop users!!!'

Honestly.:rolleyes:
i never went like that lol. dont make me sound so over-dramatic ;)

Desktops made up ~11% of Apple's revenue last year.
Desktops were ~30% of all Macs shipped and made up ~30% the Mac revenue.
Desktops made up ~11% of Apple's revenue last quarter (the first quarter of this year).
Desktops were ~37% of all Macs shipped and made up 38% of the Mac revenue.
interesting numbers. so in the quarters they are very significant, look over the whole year and it tapers off a bit. ~11% of revenue is still a fairly large number.

Doesn't really say the end is nigh to me. While Apple's numbers aren't going to be as relative to the non-Apple segment, Workstations made up around 1% of desktops, notebooks and x86 severs sold during Apple's 2009 financial year. If that were Apple's ratio then Mac Pro's would be around 100,000 units. Considering the margin Apple have on the 2009 Mac Pros and where it fits in to the Apple ecosystem, I find it hard to believe that it will be getting discontinued any time soon. Even at 10,000 units that is a profitable enterprise.
fair call i guess. apple would be using a large number of MPs for their own use anyway! it is definitely a market to stay in, people seem happy to pay the price for the MP (even those who dont need it ;)).

I saw the Xserve mentioned earlier. Apple made that because they needed servers as did certain clients. They need the Mac Pro to design and build many of their own products on. It may not be updated often (as workstations aren't) and it may be expensive (as workstations are) but it has a place that nothing else currently can replace. The iMac is not an all out replacement just because it's high end processor beats the low end Mac Pro processor slightly.
people are silly for even thinking that the imac is a replacement for it! its TOTALLY unreasonable. apple would have done that on purpose though of course.

Where do you people come up with this stuff? Desktop going away? LMAO.

Apple sold 1,234,000 desktop computers in their last quarter and 2,128,000 portables. The desktops brought in $1,692,000,000 in revenue vs. portable revenue of $2,758,000,000.

Would you drop desktops that are bringing in somewhere north of $5 billion a year in revenue?
desktops going away in the sense that apple MIGHT start dropping them in the next 5-10years because they have interests else where. not desktops being dropped off the planet all together :rolleyes:

interesting numbers, thanks. :)

The Intel iMacs have been notebook computers on a monopod except for the hard drive and display until last year.
i know :p im glad they moved to a more "desktop" themed imac.

Even then you have to restrain your laughter to hear that Apple decided to switch to LGA 775 in 2009 and we're still under clocking Mobile GPUs.
heat?

He also said there's a HUGE need for a product like the ipad.

go figure.
LOL. i sure hope that it takes off. there seriously is a large market for it. went out last night, talked to quite a few people - even my most un-nerdy of friends seemed VERY interested in the device! not many had a clue what it did though lol.

Nah. Desktops aren't going anywhere for a long time. Most of these new products are more like peripherals anyway. You need a good "base station" to really maximize the usefulness of the portables. The Mini will really fit this need nicely.
thats a really good point! i didnt think of it like that. users of an iPad will need a computer at home!

That's what I didn't understand about yesterday. Apple sells a number of Desktop computers!

Apple's Mobile Devices:
iPod
iPhone
MacBook/MacBook Pro
iPad

Apple's Non Mobile Devices
Apple TV
Mac Pro
Mac Mini
iMac

They're about even.
can somebody fill out this little list with the total revenue percentages from each product? would be interesting to see ;)

oh? why is that? i think the all-in-one concept is a rather good idea for a large percentage of the home users and even office users. i got an i7, do the faults bother me, (such as heat, lack of expandability (lack? hardly)) no! hehe

I don't care for it myself, but Apple loves it. :eek: :D :p
naw why not?

So OS X users are likely to not have a choice, save a Hackintosh route, and if the kexts aren't developed for PCIe devices (graphics cards for example), that will be harder as well, though not necessarily impossible. There are some very talented (and determined) people in the community. ;)
in the end yea apple might eventually drop the desktop line.. who knows..

just to clarify, this is about APPLE specifically dropping the desktop line - not the whole world dropping the desktop line. ;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Dead socket.

Though I expect Intel cut Apple a good price on the hardware to use it for one revision. Sticking with Core 2 in 2010 is just going to become an even bigger joke.

i mean, the underclocked GPUs are heat related.

well lets be serious here. how many users (%) need something more powerful then a a dual core?

though i get this is more about being "up to date", right?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
oh? why is that? i think the all-in-one concept is a rather good idea for a large percentage of the home users and even office users. i got an i7, do the faults bother me, (such as heat, lack of expandability (lack? hardly)) no! hehe

Because I don't like having my computer inside a display. That's why I used the word "I" when I stated what "I" wouldn't do.

It's a preference.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
well lets be serious here. how many users (%) need something more powerful then a a dual core?

though i get this is more about being "up to date", right?
I keep hearing this but I still don't understand why. If you're spending $XXX on a computer it should come with a certain processor regardless. Otherwise get a cheaper machine. Core 2 Duo is now an endangered species. Quad core processors start at $99 on the desktop side yet people still act like you're some kind of godlike power user for having one.

It's not 2006 nor the QX6700.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I keep hearing this but I still don't understand why. If you're spending $XXX on a computer it should come with a certain processor regardless. Otherwise get a cheaper machine. Core 2 Duo is now an endangered species. Quad cores start at $99 on the desktop side.

i just dont see the use of buying/producing something that people dont need.

*bad analogy* would i buy a v8 car? yes. do i need it? no. the power would go to waste.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
i just dont see the use of buying/producing something that people dont need.

*bad analogy* would i buy a v8 car? yes. do i need it? no. the power would go to waste.
I already took that into account. If it's really that bad to spend money on a computer then get an Acer Revo. Otherwise a $1,000 computer should be sporting quad core. (Core i7 920 nowadays.) If it doesn't start raising some questions.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I already took that into account. If it's really that bad to spend money on a computer then get an Acer Revo. Otherwise a $1,000 computer should be sporting quad core. (Core i7 920 nowadays.) If it doesn't start raising some questions.

agreed on that point. the technology is cheap enough to produce, regardless of the users needing the power or not.

dont come to australia, you would faint at our prices ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.