Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I dont get the people who think it should be called "iSteve/The Book Of Jobs"

The guy is almost certainly going die reasonably soon (morbid I realise but realistic). This is the only chance there will be for an official Biography. This is a big deal for all involved in it's production. I wouldn't want my official biography to have a cheesy pun title, I'd wan it done tastefully and at least approach my life & work with respect. "iSteve" was not a classy title.

So I say good job.

iphonepiephone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Or they'll buy an actual eReader that doesn't give you eyestrain, migraines, and isnt hard to read outside amongst other places. And probably the fact that the iPad battery is pathetic compared to things like the Kindle.

They're ok for short reading spells, maybe for say magazines or newspapers, but for extended reading its just painful, especially with the weight of the thing.

Aww, I don't think the fanboys liked that, based on the -7 rating... boo hoo hoo ^_^

Cheerwino

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
S.C.
Wait for 3rd printing

Don't buy the 1st printing. Wait until 3rd printing or later, when they get the bugs worked out.

Will definitely buy, though!

Penfold2711

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Strange Steve giving up on the new medium of digital books and issuing a paper book out seeing as he puts it cd and print are a outdated platform :D

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
They stole the App Store. By buying from Amazon you're supporting the same people. It's no different than buying a blood diamond.

Because 'stealing' a name is really like killing someone. Buy an iPad tomorrow, otherwise the terrorists win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
God, the amount of jealousy in this thread is mindblowing! Not a huge fan of Steve, but give the guy some credit. Love him or hate him the guy has an impact, and did not get famous by 'leaking' a sex tape or participating in a reality TV.

If Paris Hilton and Snooky can release books, Steve sure can.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
I want one of them red chairs!
They are so effing expensive. I think they are made by Bio Morph.
Maybe $2500.00.
Anyone know?

I would be interested in knowing where to get such a chair, too! If anybody has a hint, please let us know...

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
Missed opportunity…

to title it "One More Thing".

I guarantee you something will take that title when M. Jobs choses to shuffle off this mortal coil.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I clicked on "pre-order from Amazon" and was redirected to Amazon. It was ironic though you could pre-order it for the Kindle too! So a person can pre-order it for the Kindle but not the iPad:confused::confused::confused:

You can pre-order it for the iPad, the name is still iSteve in the iBookstore, it's cheaper too, $14.99 :D

They stole the App Store. By buying from Amazon you're supporting the same people. It's no different than buying a blood diamond.

Wow!!! :eek: This is the sheepiest comment I have read, there are fanboys....then there is this person :rolleyes:

saffronboots

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Nope, he's a buddhist - but imho that's the most tolerable religion and by far not as bad as christian or muslim.

According to Wikipedia, there is no belief in a deity in Buddhism; therefore it is an atheistic religion/philosophy.

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
I like the title "Steve Jobs." It's simple and you know what it's all about. "iSteve" just sounds like a product, and Steve is not a product.

Tyr.

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Antwerp, Belgium
what drug use? do share

Well, "Pirates Of Silicon Valley" shows him dropping acid. And the guy spent a lot of time among hippies in that Oregon commune, it's a good bet he did some drugs.

OTOH, Woz says :

...was steve jobs a drug addict?
Woz:
No. I was around him a lot and never saw such signs. I never saw him use drugs. I didn't use drugs myself so I would not often be included when others did such things.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
I have to say, this title is much better. Not exactly the most exciting title or anything, but the original one was bad. It was pretentious.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
According to Wikipedia, there is no belief in a deity in Buddhism; therefore it is an atheistic religion/philosophy.

I'm curious why people care if he is atheist, and why they would respect him or less more for it? :confused:

Just as one should not be judged for NOT believing, one should not be judged FOR believing. If believing in God brings a little peace and settlement to someone's life in a time we are living in with war, bad economy, bad real estate, bad unemployment.....why begrudge them the one thing in their lives that make sense to them? :confused:

Anyway, Buddhism is a very old, extremely wise timeless philosophy, not a religion. There are Buddhists that believe in God, and Buddhists that don't. Buddha believed in many Gods, there was only one religion at the time that only believed in 1 God (this was 500 years before Christ), and that was the Jewish religion. Buddha had never met a jewish individual at the time, he traveled and stayed in Asia his entire life. One other thing, Buddhists don't worship Buddha as a God or Christ, they greatly respect and admire him.

Sorry for the rant and education, now back to topic....anyone preorder it on iBooks yet?

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
That's quite a turnaround. An author I know says that publishers pick the titles, not the authors, which sometimes leads to really lame titles. This would have been one of them. I can't wait to read the biography though, and this is a great author to write it.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Third working title, " Steve Jobs by his mom and dad."

FYI it's not an autobiography. It would be if Steve was writing it himself.

Or if a car wrote it. Henry Ford did write his own auto biography, but that was a special case.

Or they'll buy an actual eReader that doesn't give you eyestrain, migraines, and isnt hard to read outside amongst other places. And probably the fact that the iPad battery is pathetic compared to things like the Kindle.

They're ok for short reading spells, maybe for say magazines or newspapers, but for extended reading its just painful, especially with the weight of the thing.

I gave my Kindle away because I preferred reading on the iPad. If you read in well lit places, the Kindle is great. If you read in darker to moderately lit places, the iPad is far better. If you read when you are well lit, you are a nerd for waisting a good beer buzz on a book.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Even if Jobs isn't religious, the biblical book of Job, with the title character's difficult path set for him by God, would have had some nice parallels to the challenges of Steve Jobs' career.

Also, I agree with others that iSteve would have also been a great title on it's own.

The problem here was that the book had two punny titles, where one would have been plenty.

My bet is that the author probably fell in love with both of them like they were his children, and couldn't bear to show preference to one over the other.

It was a mistake to throw out both and go with such a generic title.

A very good editor once told me, "when you write a book, there will be one part that you love. Rip it out and burn it. " Quite often, writers will put their work through pretzle like contortions just to put in one little bit, destroying an otherwise fantastic work. Issac Asimov structured the totality of Fantastic Voyage II around one painful pun at the end. With my twisted and somewhat unfortunate sense of humor, I can respect that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.