Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
Where I live (Belgium) we have an opt-out system. everyone is an organ donor unless they ask not to be one. Because of this there is a much bigger supply of organs and a much better chance of having a match.
I think this is a better system, most people don't mind being organ donors, they just never bothered to sign up for it. And the people who really don't want to be donors, because of religious beliefs or whatever, can still easily opt out.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
How can the state claim what isn't theirs without the consent of the owner?

The only logical stance is that people should choose to opt in as it is, afterall, their organs no? Why you advocate for the state claiming them without consent initially is actually kinda scary imo. Last i had checked, the government does not own my body so why should they get the defualt claim on my organs without my choosing to donate them?

The state doesn't own anything regarding your body or organs. Even if you say yes to donation, your family can simply choose to say no when asked. End of story.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
On the whole organ donor thing, everyone should be automatically put on a list after they reach 18. If they want off it, that is when action is needed. Don't give us the choice to not do something that can save countless lives with no effect on us.

Sure. And be declared dead after a car accident although you're still alive just because your liver is compatible with a sick rich guy who needs and pays well for that service.

"Coma" anynone? Or "The Island"? Or Rainer Erler's "Fleisch"?

Actually, this is one of the subjects where you have to be suspicious - and even paranoid - about because the risk of abuse is extremely high.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Most people don't do anything until it effects them personally. It doesn't matter if they are rich or poor. I don't know much about SJs charity work, but I'm sure he was doing plenty of it prior to needing a liver transplant even if it may not have been directly about organ donors.

You would think so, with the fact that he is in the list of top rich people, but this is the FIRST charitable thing I have heard him come forward for.....
At least The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation gives generously.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Where I live (Belgium) we have an opt-out system. everyone is an organ donor unless they ask not to be one.

This is how it should be. If you don't want to, then declare it! Here in Holland we recently had to say whether we wanted to donate or not, although it wasn't obligatory.

Whilst I commend Jobsey for doing his bit...this really isn't Mac related news, sorry! Can someone check the settings on the bots...they seem have altered their search criteria from 'News' to 'Spam'.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Wow, amazing. Yet another rich organ donee that didn't do anything to push organ transplants until they needed one. For more references, see David Crosby and Phil Lesh.

Unless you push for it as much as actual organ receivers do, these kind of remarks are uncalled for. I'm pretty sure lots of people that don't receive organs don't think about it much. As well, I'm sure not dying from something due to getting an organ would make anyone much more aware.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Sure. And be declared dead after a car accident although you're still alive just because your liver is compatible with a sick rich guy who needs and pays well for that service.

Actually, this is one of the subjects where you have to be suspicious - and even paranoid - about because the risk of abuse is extremely high.

Um..."Aliens", anyone? Oh wait, that was fiction too. Google myths about organ donation. It may differ somewhat from Germany, but likely the same. Organ lists contain no recipient patient names or incomes.

Second, in the US organs and tissue cannot be sold, so any charge is for the tissue procurement and processing, which goes to the tissue bank, and all transplant tissue must come from FDA-licensed and certified tissue banks. From informed donor consent to donor medical history to tissue tracking, there is extensive paperwork on all aspects of the process, and no organs would even be allowed in the hospital without extensive review and documentation (completely unlike what you see on TV, books or movies).

Kal-EL

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2002
Upstate NY
Whilst I commend Jobsey for doing his bit...this really isn't Mac related news, sorry! Can someone check the settings on the bots...they seem have altered their search criteria from 'News' to 'Spam'.

I personally have no problem with this being up on MacRumors. The whole point of the article and video talks about awareness of organ donations, which the article being posted to the MacRumors front page helps to do as well. And being that MacRumors founder Arn is also a medical doctor, I don't fault him at all for letting this be posted.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Wow, amazing. Yet another rich organ donee that didn't do anything to push organ transplants until they needed one. For more references, see David Crosby and Phil Lesh.

Lots of people are in that category,minus the "rich".Why the hate?Better late than never!

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
You would think so, with the fact that he is in the list of top rich people, but this is the FIRST charitable thing I have heard him come forward for.....

Some people give publicly. Others prefer to keep things private.

cinten

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
With everything Steve has given us we should be farming human organs for him in order to keep him alive for a thousand years.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

This is Steve lending his FACE to a campaign-- his public endorsement.

You have no idea how much money he gives privately.
Should he send you a telegram every time he makes a financial donation?

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
How can the state claim what isn't theirs without the consent of the owner?

The only logical stance is that people should choose to opt in as it is, afterall, their organs no? Why you advocate for the state claiming them without consent initially is actually kinda scary imo. Last i had checked, the government does not own my body so why should they get the defualt claim on my organs without my choosing to donate them?

But you are right, we could make laws to make ANYTHING legal:rolleyes:

I think this law, forcing everyone to at least acknowledge the question, is as invasive as it needs to be concerning this issue so for that I support it as it asks point blank, yes or no.

Why some here are advocating for special opt out forms with a default to yes vs a simple forced acknowledgment (such as this law) is slightly disturbing to me

Agreed!It is disturbing.Making people say yes or no is plenty.

On that subject I read a scifi story years ago.A guy was about to be sentenced for a crime.The penalty was death,with all organs to be harvested for transplant.In this future time transplants were easy and had a high success rate,and just about everything could be used.At the end of the story the judge sentenced him to death.

For jaywalking.

They never had a shortage of donors!

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008

And makes darned sure everybody knows!:D

Slogan

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008

It's better that they are at least putting some weight behind it. I would be more critical of people who get an organ donation and don't bother with the area afterward, because they're sorted out.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
It's not like it pushed aside some bit of mac related news or anything.It's pretty easy to scan a headline and skip it if you're not interested.

CZSZSZ

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Donate Blood !

At the blood donation point you can usually sign agreement for organ transplantation (at least in Europe).

I received blood when I was 13, I gave it back first time I could at the age of 18.

aristokrat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007

Wow, as someone who's working as a Paramedic, that's pretty insulting. OF COURSE the first thing we do is check your wallet to see your donation status before we start giving care (since you seem to be pretty thick, I'll point out that that was sarcasm). I've followed the trail of care for a lot of critical patients, and organ harvest is postponed until the last possible minute. But of course paranoid nutjobs like you wouldn't listen to anyone who actually has experience that denies their "beliefs."

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Sure. And some don't give at all.

When you have little or no money, you think about things like food and a place to stay. When you have a bit more, you think about having a nicer car and owning your own house. Mr. Jobs has far more money than he could spend on frivolity. I would bet that his motivating factor is what he can accomplish. Some people want to sell sugar water, others want to change the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.