Steve Jobs designed the 5/5s?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel3102, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Hey I was wondering if anyone thinks that the iPhone 5/5s was designed by Steve Jobs before his death? They say that he worked on future designs, so could the 5/5s actually have some of Steve's creative personality? :apple:

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I don't think Jobs designed anything. He led multiple projects over the years.

He was a marketer and visionary. Not an engineer.

3. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Jony Ive designed the 5/5S, but I am sure that Steve Jobs had lots of input on the design. Jony is the design guy… Steve was a master editor.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Some guy at Samsung designed the iPhone 6 antenna breaks :)

5. ourmountain macrumors regular

It's said that Jobs had a hand in every Apple product release through 2016, and left an entire roadmap for the company to follow.

While he wasn't the "designer", he was the final say.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

7. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I was wondering! If he really did leave something for Apple to go by? I wonder...

8. towg macrumors regular

He wouldve been de facto Creative Director I wouldve thought. Those of you in the design business know what I mean.

9. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, for everyone saying that Steve Jobs wasnt the designer, I KNOW!!! Jony Ive designed it!!! What I'm saying is, did Steve leave something with his ideas?designs to guide Apple?

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

We can't say for certain, but I'm sure there was a roadmap for the next 5 years or so. Whether they followed that or not is another matter.

I think Jobs pushed Ive to create things he couldn't do on his own - there's no telling what would be out now if Jobs was still alive.

11. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I think so.
    Jobs knew about the iPad mini, iOS7, Swift (it started 4 years ago), the 64bit architecture on the iPhone coming soon and of course he was involved in the project to bring retina display to the Macs. I'm pretty sure Jobs is behind continuity too.

I'm not sure about next iPhone, it takes some years to develop a product but the design may have changed during the past years, maybe Jobs was against a bigger phone and Apple changed its mind only a couple of years ago.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't Jobs deigned anything, he approved (or disapproved) what Jony Ives presented, probably offered advise in how to improve or change it, but Jobs was not a designer.

13. chupachup macrumors 6502

Steve was a little busy with, oh I don't know, imminent death?

14. kdarling, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The idea that Jobs had left a multi-year plan first came from a single article in a UK paper that quoted another CEO who speculated it on the day Jobs died. It was immediately repeated as fact, leaving out its origin.

In reality, we know from evidence at the trials that Apple basically looked out about 18 months, with generalities. That is, they planned what core features they would include for the next model or two, but not necessarily what they looked like in detail. (E.g. when they would add LTE, or use new antennas)

They don't seem to really plan out future product lines years in advance. Instead, Apple, like many companies, has projects that are on the backburner until the technology and markets are ripe. (E.g multi-touch and the iPhone.)

We also know from insider interviews that everything could change on a dime, especially if Jobs suddenly hated something. And one former executive said that some things that people thought must have been planned out, were really last minute ideas.

So were products deeply planned out for years? Certainly not by Jobs, or even most of his execs. At the same time, there are hints that Ive spends a lot of time making dummy designs just in case the technology to make them arrives. (E.g. smart rings for TV control, flexible displays, etc.)

What makes Apple successful is not so much planning for the future, but taking advantage of current technology to bring to market right now, what others would wait to bring later on. They are willing to wholeheartedly commit to a new idea.

15. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Why does it matter in real life ?? Many more important things to think about ;)

16. itjw macrumors 65816

I don't care if a hobo designed it, as long as I like it.

If I don't like it, I buy something that I do like instead. It's crazy complicated (what with all the thinking on my own), but I find it makes the things I buy more enjoyable when I buy them because I like them :D

Try it. If you like something: buy it, if you don't: don't.

It will change your life!

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The iPhone 5 would have been in devolpment for over a year when he died. He defiantly saw and approved the design.

18. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

This makes me wonder what job's plans were along with forestall for iOS 7... Were they going to redesign it, or was it going to remain skeomorphic?