Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Whatever else may be right or wrong about this, the mail headers are perfect. I run my company's mail system, and have been reading real and spam mail headers for 15 years, so I know something about this.

The mail was sent at 8:43:39 PT/11:43:39 ET. This is the 'one second' mentioned; it took one second to get to the final destination at 15:43:40 GMT/UTC which is 7 and 4 hours ahead of PT and ET.

Nothing to see there, move along. :D

As for who wrote it, do we know who wrote *any* of the SJ emails? Really?

The email went from/to machines wave1 and then earhart then to a mail relay16 and then to mail-out3. wave1 could be SJ's or the admin person's Mac, since, as was noted it used Apple Mail.

I need to send an email from my iPad and see what it says for the 'client' machine.... :)

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Whatever else may be right or wrong about this, the mail headers are perfect. I run my company's mail system, and have been reading real and spam mail headers for 15 years, so I know something about this.

The mail was sent at 8:43:39 PT/11:43:39 ET. This is the 'one second' mentioned; it took one second to get to the final destination at 15:43:40 GMT/UTC which is 7 and 4 hours ahead of PT and ET.

Nothing to see there, move along. :D

The email went from/to machines wave1 and then earhart then to a mail relay16 and then to mail-out3. wave1 could be SJ's or the admin person's Mac, since, as was noted it used Apple Mail.

I need to send an email from my iPad and see what it says for the 'client' machine.... :)

wave1 is one of the gateways.

firstadopter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Does anyone believe me? Seems like there are more doubters than believers. Kind of sad actually. Has the internet turned that cynical of everybody?

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island

Good comment...

Just to add, it really shouldn't be a problem who actually wrote the email
The OP shares some information he got and it looks legit... nobody should care if it's Jobs writing the email or his wife or his assistants. If they get access to sjobs@apple.com and an authorization to reply via that email, I am pretty damn sure they have to write something Jobs would say himself...

firstadopter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Good comment...

Just to add, it really shouldn't be a problem who actually wrote the email
The OP shares some information he got and it looks legit... nobody should care if it's Jobs writing the email or his wife or his assistants. If they get access to sjobs@apple.com and an authorization to reply via that email, I am pretty damn sure they have to write something Jobs would say himself...

Thank you.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Does anyone believe me? Seems like there are more doubters than believers. Kind of sad actually. Has the internet turned that cynical of everybody?
Looks legit to me.. :) I think people are just so tired of scams and all the Internet trash, that the fact that the email isn't the 'normal SJ email' sort of got some people going. :D:D

I looked at your Twitter feed, and it looks interesting; I've followed you, BTW. If that isn't you, I'd think the real FA would be here shutting you up. :cool:

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
What's really clear here is that the OP had his assistant write the e-mail to Jobs.

patp

Apr 10, 2008

the haters always post more and thus get more attention.

I think a strong possibility that this could be Job's himself. It could also be an assistant. But I don't get the feeling like the OP is making any of this up.

it' not unreasonable to think that once in a while Job's will select one email out of thousands and just reply for the heck of it.

I'm more saddened by the negative vibe at this forum and how the majority are just out for blood at times.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I'm not sure in this longish thread anyone's addressed the fact that most of the questions 'SJ' (as we can call him, no matter who is actually writing these emails... :) ) has answered have been yes or no questions. Will the iPad have this? Will it have that?

This question was an 'essay question'. :D So, it needed more detail. Yes, it was a much longer answer than we are used to getting from SJ. It could be, as some have suggested, an issue/practice that he didn't agree with, so he wanted to explain it further.

But you can also say it couldn't be answered yes/no. Sorry? I don't think that's a big deal. This is an issue that will go away when international sales start. So, he says, 'sorry, it's temporary, until then'. Eh. Who says he would never say that? References? Seriously, I'd like to know.

I think we do too much 'Kremlin watching' of Apple, for those that remember the old days of trying to figure out what the USSR was up to!:D:D

VintageSlots

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
Tell your friends to gift you Best Buy gift cards instead or good ol' cash.

Until Stevo starts making his own Apple Money he should still take that. :eek:

Actually, after reading more, I see that cash is NOT accepted for iPad purchases. One must use a credit/debit card.

First time I have ever heard of a company not taking cash for a purchase.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I believe it. I'm taking a huge leap here but he could see the guys website at the end of his email. If he knows people follow him on Twitter and visit his site, that email is an easy communication door to many users and addresses a topic many have wondered about.

windroll

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
I believe you, OP.

You can't please everyone, so no point arguing with people that have doubts. It'll save you a lot of stress and time. Let it be. :)

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
I used a gift card at Apple's on-line store

Title says it all. I used a $500 gift card at Apple's online store... Only applies to brick and mortar I guess....

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Title says it all. I used a $500 gift card at Apple's online store... Only applies to brick and mortar I guess....

Because you gave your name/address for shipping when you ordered online ;) that's all they need to add you to the database so you do not purchase more than 2 iPads ;)

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008

Sad? I think it's a sign of hope that people are starting to learn what "cyberspace" really means. Anyone can be anyone. Earlier you concluded that someone accused you of being a liar. Again, I find this word somewhat irrelevant in an anonymous forum. There is not good and evil, just text. Make of it what you will. A forum is like a novel. Well maybe a science fiction novel that plays within a framework of language, whatever the topic.

Given how widely the sjobs email address has been published, I imagine the inbox is chock full of spam, whiners, crazies, wannabes, students, disgruntled employees, journalists, etc etc. To have the time to sort through that and single out particular emails to reply to in a seemingly random fashion, while all the while in the role of CEO of a large public company, stretches credulity a little too far for me. Sorry.

firstadopter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010

Did you buy an iPad 3G? I was told by the Apple retail store employee I wouldn't be able to use the $400 of gift cards online either.

firstadopter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Sad? I think it's a sign of hope that people are starting to learn what "cyberspace" really means. Anyone can be anyone. Earlier you concluded that someone accused you of being a liar. Again, I find this word somewhat irrelevant in an anonymous forum. There is not good and evil, just text. Make of it what you will. A forum is like a novel. Well maybe a science fiction novel that plays within a framework of language, whatever the topic.

Given how widely the sjobs email address has been published, I imagine the inbox is chock full of spam, whiners, crazies, wannabes, students, disgruntled employees, journalists, etc etc. To have the time to sort through that and single out particular emails to reply to in a seemingly random fashion, while all the while in the role of CEO of a large public company, stretches credulity a little too far for me. Sorry.

So you're calling me a liar? LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.