Steve Jobs-Holding Back

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wide opeN, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Is it me or does it seem like the numbers (volume) produced at launch for the iPad 3 came to easily!? Like, these sorta numbers were attainable all along!?

That leads me to the direct question:

Was Steve Jobs Holding Out, with respects to creating artifical demand!?

I just think it's too much of a coincedence that this is the first launch in recent memory of an iOS device (especially, iPad) that one could casually go about receiving such said device without worry or panic in person after the release of the device.

Thoughts!?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

^^^What he said^^^

PREORDER!

Preorder went much more smoothly and many more took advantage of how easy Apple made the process. Nothing more or less. Apple just did a better job at have enough devices to satisfy the initial demand and then some.

Over all I think Apple did great. Took me about 20 minutes to get though on the Internet to preorder and it was delivered with zero hassle on the day promised.:cool:

3. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Agreed. The preorder process for the iPhone 4 was awful. They seem to have fixed the process.

4. MarkN macrumors member

I also think that Apple benefited from two years worth of experience. They could more correctly gauge the demand, have the factories staff up accordingly, and start production early enough to have a sufficient supply at launch. I don't think that Steve had any evil thoughts on creating an artificial demand... it was just not knowing what kind of demand to expect.

5. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Cook is an operations guy and he is going to be pulling off the most amazing logistics for apple moving forward. I think Tim is def more on the ball about this and really wants to show his core.

Coordinating 3M+ units for delivery around the world for a delivery date like this is very impressive.

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

They had preorders for ipad 1.

And it took near 3 months where one could walk into store and buy one off the shelf.

So Apple holds back inventory on purpose

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

You couldn't find one, so apple was holding out? Yikes.

9. Ksateskier macrumors newbie

second

I second the comment about Cook. Jobs was a creative genius but short on operational/logistical experience. I think this is where Cook will help Apple the most.

Not to mention forecasting using iPad 1 & 2 sales models.

10. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Short of discovering a document that states there was an intentional plan to hold back inventory, the only claim we can make is that it took a significant amount of time for the balance between supply and demand to reach equilibrium. Not properly anticipating supply of a new category of product, which might result in shortages does not mean they intentionally held back inventory.

----------

The problem with this supposition is that I think it has been obvious that Cook has always handled the logistics of these matters, thus his role as Chief Operating Officer.

Any statement that thinks that the passing of Steve Jobs led to an increase in supply upon launch is merely conspiratorial. A more logical explanation is that Apple has gotten better at making product transitions.

11. Jontif macrumors regular

Jontif

Some people have been complaining on other sites about the fact that because there wasnt a shortage there wasnt as much of a buzz about the new iPad.
    All I can say is that last time I bought an iPad it was an incredibly frustrated 7 week wait to get the model I wanted... within such time if I hadnt been a devout apple supporter I could have purchased a different machine. This time it was a breeze... pre-ordering was easy (apart from the uk store being down most of the evening of the launch), it arrived on launch day and I had no problem with apple customer service when I rang them re a shipping question.

All I can say is hats off to apple... they came good this time and I am hopeful that future launches will be THIS smooth!!

Fantastic!

12. tsekh macrumors member

No big design change.

A lot of the parts used in iPad 2 can be reused in the iPad 3. And since there is no big design change, the manufacturing process does not have to go through a steep learning curve either.

"creating artificial shortage" is useful only if there is excess supply to start with. This is clearly not the cas with recent iPad and iPhones.

On a related note, another teardown of the iPad 3 has discovered it uses camera sensor from iPhone 4, and lens module from the 4S.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but Steve Jobs was known to meddle in the details, and I'm sure he made last-minute decisions that threw wrenches into the best laid logistical plans. Tim Cook is not a product guy, knows it, and is less likely to meddle once his senior execs tell him a product is ready to go.

14. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

There's no real benefit to Apple holding back inventory. I think for past models, they've simply been cautious. This product is only 2 years old and was not a guaranteed success at the time. Tim Cook is a firm believer in having no overstock sitting around in the warehouse, so way make a bunch of stuff you're not sure that you're going to sell.

Then the iPad became a runaway hit. Now they sell like hotcakes. Apple knows they're going to have a lot of sales. They offer a pre-order and have more available for launch. People who were caught up in the hype of the new model will definitely get one. People who are just being impulse buyers will get one. Stragglers will get one. It leaves no room for people to have second thoughts or to get buyer's remorse while they sit and wait for it to be shipped to them.

In the case of the iPhone, don't forget that those are still Apple's bread and butter and sell in much higher volumes than the iPad. In the case of the iPhone, I think that they just simply can't make them fast enough. They make as many as they can, they run out, and they just keep manufacturing until the demand evens out.

15. Wide opeN thread starter macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

This actually, more or less spot on with my thoughts, aside from my OP.

I have a nagging suspicion that this launch has a Tim Cook it's my time b**** type of stamp on it.

Not saying it's a bad thing, as I like the agression Mr. Cook has shown subtlely in letting us know that he too has a personality and he WILL let it shine through however obvious it might not be.

16. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Let's not forget the Earthquake/Tsunami last year. I do believe it created major disruption around the world in terms of part supply issues. It occurred right around the launch if I'm not mistaken. Definitely created more delay for Apple to restock their inventories.

As others mentioned the learning curve is flattening out for them as well!

17. iCarabma macrumors 6502

This whole idea that Apple wants long lines and for people to have to wait for product is bunk.

If you convince someone to give you money it behoves you to take that money as soon as possible and make as easy as possible for people to give it to you. Apple has gotten better at ramping production and anticipating demand.

Long lines are not a good ad for Apple. Millions of people walking around with iPads are.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Just prior and shortly after the launch of the original iPad launch about half the respectable tech blogs went on and on about how the iPad would fail, that it was just a big iPod touch and that the name resembled women's hygiene products. On launch day I got in a very short line and walked out with my original iPad within 15 minutes. It was only later that people woke up to the potential and got frustrated that they couldn't find one.

I also think the iPad 2 launch was met with unanticipated demand -- it certainly surprised me considering the iPad 2 did not improve either the data connection nor the screen.

In short, I don't think Steve Jobs was holding back. His whole philosophy while he was living was to produce products that changed the world. He couldn't do that if a consumer couldn't buy the product.

19. Wide opeN thread starter macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

True Cook has always been over logistics but he hasn't always been CEO.

Last I checked, the CEO still has final say, and especially a CEO like Steve Jobs.

I'm certainly not trying to be conspiratol but everyone here has noted that this launch just seemed "different" this time around.

From feel, to availabilty of product, to pre-orders. So, what I'm supposing is not out of the realm of possibility.

20. pdawg macrumors regular

Agreed! My first time pre-ordering, and it was very smooth. Got my iPad by 10:30 AM on 3/16.

21. aneftp macrumors 68040

Nah man. Always get my apple products on launch day. Got iPad 1 on launch, along with 2 and new iPad.

Same for iPhone releases.

It's just saying it took 3 months for any regular joe to walk into a retail store and ask for the iPad of their choice straight off street without lining up each morning.

22. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Me too.

23. appletvbob macrumors member

Nothing is out of the realm of possibility, true. The new Apple CEO is a "logistics guy" and logistically Apple nailed the launch. Coincidence?