Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what kiind of occupation California's affluents have. At least that would help me choose a career :D

They can't be all CEOs or celebrities, can they?

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
It looks to me as though the law doesn't apply only to *new* car sales, but rather to all car sales, both new and used. In cases where new car sales are meant to be treated differently then used car sales, the law appears to specifically spell out the distinctions.

For example the law makes it clear that dealers have 30 days from the sale of a used car to file the registration papers, but they only have 20 days to do so from the sale of a new car. However, the section dealing with the 6-month validity window for the report-of-sale sticker doesn't make any distinction between new car sales and used car sales. So, it's conceivable that selling the car back to the dealer, only to re-lease it all over again, might actually meet the requirements..

It's important to understand that in California, the license plates stay with the vehicle, not the owner.. Once a car has a license plate, it's passed on to the next owner.. This trick only works with new cars.

----------

You mean Californians can get away with not paying license fees for at least 6 months?? If he perpetually turned over the car and never got a license tag, in my state that means he would never have paid the road taxes, priviledge fees, etc that have to be paid.

All fees are paid, all taxes are paid. This law only pertains to displaying a DMV license plate.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Gotta love loopholes. I always wondered that about CA. I grew up in Ohio and we had to have 30 day temp tags affixed to the car when we purchased cars so it was always strange to see cars drive around without any tags or plates.

2 Replies

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
For a guy who sure hated it when developers found loopholes in the App system or API, his abuse of the California loophole was quite hypocritical.

Regardless of mortal state, he's getting NO respect from me for this.
His "do as I say, not as I do" attitude is complete and utter B*ll$**t.
He should have set better example.

That said, I really hope CA eventually revises their law and screens for these types of constant roll-overs.
Perhaps requiring that after the first 6 month exemption is over, if the owner sells and rebuys they have to display the plate (that they had plenty of time to acquire) in one of those rubberized hangers that hang from the closed trunk. Because license plates are to be displayed for a good REASON.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
must be nice never losing that new car smell

Wouldn't it be ironic if that new car smell triggered his cancer...

----------

Regardless of mortal state, he's getting NO respect from me for this.
His "do as I say, not as I do" attitude is complete and utter B*ll$**t.
He should have set better example.

But you can't love the products and hate the mindset that developed them.

His attitude helped him to think outside of the box. And who doesn't have a kink or eccentricity? More power to him because he could pull it off. I wonder how many former Jobs' cars there cruising around the California area. There has got to be quite a few...

----------

All fees are paid, all taxes are paid. This law only pertains to displaying a DMV license plate.

So do you pay a year up when you lease or buy a car? If so than this makes the story a little more... bizarre... Kind of an expensive eccentricity...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.