Steve jobs leaving apple??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mass Hysteria, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Mass Hysteria macrumors regular

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Other threads on this. Believe it or not, you are not the first person to read Giz.

3. Mass Hysteria thread starter macrumors regular

Really! you're kidding :eek:

Sorry for wasting your time

4. Queso macrumors G4

Tim Cook is obviously being groomed for the role.

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I think it is a testament to Steve's charisma and innovative way. Look at when Bill left MS - no-one cared!

just the thought of Steve going will hit share prices and we will discuss it for months. He will leave sometime, I mean Apple is his passion, but the guy has done so much I hope he can enjoy retirement.

:)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think if he left 2 years ago, it would have been a massive deal, and sent Apple stock crashing down. Now.....not so much.
    Popularity always reaches a peak. For Steve Jobs, that peak was 1-2 years ago. If Steve leaves in 1 or 2 years, Apple will be OK.

Regard the Gizmodo article, it's very possible that the Board of Directors and SJ sat down and discussed his public image, which was Apple. That's great for the ego, but not for the company, because, as you feared, if Steve is Apple, and Steve leaves, Apple's stock, reputation, etc, are gone with him. That may be the reason why Steve doesn't make himself the star anymore. It may not be health related whatsoever.

Even if the company would be able to operate well without him, the public perception would hurt Apple a lot financially. They'd be like Ford or GM, who have improved greatly, but still have a negative stigma regardless of how much they improve.

Anyway, I'm kind of looking forward to Steve leaving Apple. :D

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Tim Cook and Jony Ives did a great job on stage. I agree with Queso that Tim Cook is being groomed for that position.

And Steve looked better, FWIW.

The less Phil Schiller, the better. :D

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I disagree. Look how his recent health rumors affected the stock price. Apple has a bit of work to do here. I think this may have been the start.

Ives doesn't look comfortable when on stage. He wouldn't be a good front man for Apple. Tim Cook seems to being groomed for the front man role.

Apple would be smart to pre-announce Steve's taking a lesser role in the company when he's ready. Something like, I plan to leave my day to day role in Apple in the next 2 years but will still be involved behind the scenes. We have a talented team blah, blah, blah.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Good, I've been feeling this for a while but after looking back over the past year or so its becoming quite apparent that Steve is no longer the right man for the job. Tuesday just confirmed it.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I think he's the right man for the job, but when Steve embodies Apple, it's not good for the company's long-term health, as the company's health is tied to Steve Jobs' health.

Anyway, the company has strong direction right now based on their current product lineup and outlook, at least for 5 years or so after SJ leaves.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.