Steve Jobs: MobileMe to 'Get A Lot Better' Next Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple's MobileMe service has been a bit of a mixed bag with consumers, with some seeing value in the service's email, photo/file hosting, and syncing capabilities while others feel that the $99 annual list price for the service is too high. The latter sentiment is becoming especially prevalent now that the "Find My iPhone" service that had previously required a MobileMe subscription is free for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch users running iOS 4.2.

Some MobileMe customers have also experienced performance and access issues dating all the way back to the service's debut in mid-2008 as Apple transitioned from the former .Mac service. Aside from occasional downtime, users have also reported issues with syncing data among devices and integrating that data from the various devices into combined databases for syncing.

One MacRumors reader frustrated by his experiences with MobileMe emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs to share his dissatisfaction and to inquire whether improvements might be coming to the service. Jobs reportedly replied, claiming that MobileMe will "get a lot better in 2011".
Q: I love my iPad and iPhone4 and am a huge fan of yours and all that Apple does. I desperately want to stay inside of Apple'e ecosystem as much as possible.

However, MobileMe is making it very difficult for me to do so. Unreliable/unpredictable syncing, creating duplicate entries (sometimes scores of them), etc. It's almost unusable.

And I know from forums (including Apple's own support boards) that I am not the only one experiencing these very real and frustrating problems.

Please tell me it will get better, and soon?

A: Yes, it will get a lot better in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone
With Jobs offering only a brief and vague response as typical in his emails, it is unclear whether Apple is planning significant feature enhancements for MobileMe or if he is merely referring to performance improvements for its existing capabilities. Jobs' statement should offer some reassurance, however, that Apple apparently has plans for significant improvements to the service that will hopefully result in more customers finding its offering to be worth MobileMe's annual fee in a market where a growing variety of cheap and free applications and services are providing increasing features and capabilities.

Article Link: Steve Jobs: MobileMe to 'Get A Lot Better' Next Year

ct2k7

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2008
London
Awesome! I'm a current subscriber, and I'm wondering, how can it get better, other than fixing the issues? New services?

MacConvert07

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
Upstate NY
Awesome! I'm a current subscriber, and I'm wondering, how can it get better, other than fixing the issues? New services?
Yeah cheaper would be nice. I was thinking about ditching it and the end of my current subcription but let's see what they offer next year....

vd0t

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
MobileMe is dead. Long live Dropbox!! The only way MobileMe will still exist if it matches Dropbox in space, speed and reliability. I only use MobileMe for syncing address book/calendar with my iPhone. The other features aren't too useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE2MDcwODgwOQ?src=global0

You'll get 500MB (2.5GB) more space using that link to sign up. You get even more space if you're a student. Once you use it, you won't go back. Promise!

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Fixing issues, increasing iDisk storage and speed, maybe a new feature or two would make me happy.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
While MobileMe still fails in many respects they do seem to be slowly getting better. The webapps are pretty nice. Hopefully iOS syncing continues to improve (syncing in general is still kind of buggy where it ignore changes if not randomly revert to a state several months ago). Personally, I wonder if this has anything to do with 10.7 as the major service updates seemed to be linked to OS updates in the past.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I hope they improve it a lot. My mobileme account has significant problems. emails push or don't push as they like. Accessing emails through G3 sometimes takes 10 minutes although internet access through G3 is blazing fast. Calendars sync most of the time but not always. Calendars duplicate. iDisk is consitently slower than any other upload service I use and sometimes unusably slow. Most agrevating is that I can't have email conversations because often emails arrive with 10 min delay. On top of that sending emails with pics (less than a MB!) takes 20 min.

StrongBad

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
MobileMe, .Mac, and iTools were all huge opportunities for Apple to knock it out of the park. Let's hope 2011 is not like 2002.

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
I love the new Q&A sessions by Steve Jobs. Makes a boring day a bit more entertaining.

On a more serious note, I can't wait to see some Gallery enhancements like comments, tagging, etc.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
They could start by improving webDAV performance in Finder. That would help iDisk.

Apple has hinted it was their intent to rapidly improve MobileMe when it was introduced in 2008. There have been minor refinements, but major improvements have just failed to materialised. So I'll believe it when I see it.

iWork.com is still in beta by the way. Apple doesn't really do constant and rapid iterations and as such doesn't really understand how to build web apps.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It wouldn't surprise me if mobile me becomes an iAD based free service next year. It'd be a perfect fit for them.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I seem to recall Jobs saying something almost identical to this a couple years ago. It didn't get better. Yes, they added the browser-based tools. But the core functionality is still sketchy, particularly iDisk. It's slow and unreliable and finicky (always asking you do you want to keep this file or that instead of allowing you to just say "always use the one with the latest modification date, and use this preference until I change it). It's also pretty expensive.

They should just buy Dropbox and replace iDisk with it. Dropbox is totally reliable, simple to use, fast, keeps file change history, and lets you individually password protect shared folders (with iDisk you can only lock the whole thing, or nothing). Apple prides itself on doing "best of breed" in any area they compete in, but they fall way short with Mobile Me when you look at some of the individual components.

macintologist

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Unlike all my cheap friends that use all google products and put all their personal information and email in google's servers so creepy 3rd party advertisers can look at it, I'm happy to pay a nominal fee for my email to be secure and private in Apple's servers. They charge for their services and thus have no incentive to look at their my data or sell it to someone else.

I value online email, calendering, etc enough to pay for it.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
MoilbeMe is expensive and does have major issues like slow iDisk, but it's still a great service. I love the fact that my contacts/calendars sync in real-time on all 3 of my machines, and iDisk is good enough for very casual use, with Pages for example.

One feature I really do want is the syncing of ToDos with MobileMe & iOS. Apple has a major issue that some things sync and some things don't and there are only certain places where you can make changes.

Notes:
Syncs with MM
Cannot make changes on me.com
Can make changes on iOS & Computer

ToDos:
Syncs in Calendar on me.com & Computer
Cannot make changes to ToDos on any iOS device

Very odd that for Notes you cannot make changes on me.com and ToDos on any iOS device. It's very disjointed.

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
Needs improvement on many levels ...

Besides terrible syncing issues, overpricing for cloud storage, and just the all around general bugginess of using MobileMe, one of the most frustrating issues is that there is no phone support for MobileMe customers! Apple's phone tech support has helped me time and again over the past decade, but when I've had real issues with MobileMe, I've had to do text messaging support and it almost never really solved the problem.

I am happy to hear that MobileMe might get competitive with competing services in terms of pricing and starts to treat the service with the same attention that they do other aspects of the Apple family.

backspace

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2007
As a salesman, what else could he say in response to that letter? I think there is too much being read into the response.

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
As a salesman, what else could he say in response to that letter? I think there is too much being read into the response.
Nothing? He doesn't answer all emails you know, and for every one he does answer to there is a reason why he answered to it.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Why is this news? Of course he's going to say it's going to get better. What marketing person would say, "nope, we're just keeping it as it is/It's good enough?". At least any marketing person who knows anything about marketing, and Steve comes off as some one who isn't completely stupid about that stuff.

Until anything happens or he at least says how it is going to get better or what they are doing to improve it, it's just words (unless he specified how it is going to get better or what they are doing to improve it I fail to see how this is worthy of even bothering with cause of course that's going to be the basic answer to that question!).

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I signed up for a .Mac family account in 2006.

Haven't had many issues at all with regards to reliability or syncing errors. Calendar, Mail, Address, basic syncing, and so on have been pretty reliable.

The iDisk service is slower than a lot of other cloud-based disk services, and disk space is priced at a premium. For comparison, a terabyte USB drive costs under $100 now, even the cost of high capacity rack-mounted disk storage devices has plummeted over the last 10 years. They should be offering at closer to 100GB instead of 20GB now days, or at least offer a discount for multiple blocks of 20GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.