Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
To the OP.

Every version of OS X has had issues with the 10.X.0 release.

Snow Leopard had an issue where people's account details were erased for example.

The issues here are minor in comparison.

sigbiz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
No problems - few benefits

From the beta reviews we knew this was not a 'game changer' new operating system for those who had Lion - which I did - and it certainly isn't. Everything worked for me correctly following one more reboot than asked for. I have quite a lot of software and apps installed on my Macbook Pro early 2011 and all third party as well the Apple software worked correctly.

Do I notice the difference? - barely. Launchpad is maybe a little smoother. I don't notice that much difference with Mail. Safari is not my browser of preference but Safari 6 does seem faster to load pages... And yes, maybe spotlight's a little faster also.

Overall I use my Macbook for my work and pleasure. The work can be intense and I like my machine working at maximum efficiency. I approached the upgrade as a bit of routine maintenance to get the best out of my usage and have the machine ready for any new stuff coming out. On that basis I thought it worth the £13.99 / $19.99. If you're expecting a revolutionary experience and already have Lion you'll be disappointed however.

cep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I love the apple products, they just work. You normally don't have to screw around with reconfiguring things. As far as the title, I am a fen of what SJ has done with the company and its products, He wouldn't have released this without addressing the issues of components being delivered as incomplete. The level of QC has slipped from when he was running things.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I love the apple products, they just work. You normally don't have to screw around with reconfiguring things. As far as the title, I am a fen of what SJ has done with the company and its products, He wouldn't have released this without addressing the issues of components being delivered as incomplete. The level of QC has slipped from when he was running things.

You have one problem, that few others have, and ML is junk? :rolleyes:

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
To the OP.

Every version of OS X has had issues with the 10.X.0 release.

Snow Leopard had an issue where people's account details were erased for example.

The issues here are minor in comparison.

True words. Memories fade away way too fast for people. Hint hint politics.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
I was one of the first few to use 10.8 as a gold master. I love it so far. only a few small anoyices but hell a computer as old as mine is going to have the odd glitch now and then,

I know some times the finders favorits tend not to load.

(This happend twice, but also I was burning a dvd at the time so that may be why)

somme times my dock lights don't show up for open porgrams,
(First boot after a system update)

Other then thoes two strange problems I am quite happy with 10.8

....OHHH wait!!!!!

Paraless and VM fusion both do not work on 10.8!

They need updates to work.

The fix for that is to go to Vitual Box, (free) or bootcamp (free also)

I went to boot camp and its been a nice experince after I change some settings,

Its so quick to get in to windows and back to osx, and windows lives off 48gb

cep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Kodeman, I didn't say it was junk, I said that it wasn't a finished product. Mail has plenty of issues, check this board and the Apple board. There are issues with notifications. Imessage doesn't work as advertised at WWDC.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Kodeman, I didn't say it was junk, I said that it wasn't a finished product. Mail has plenty of issues, check this board and the Apple board. There are issues with notifications. Imessage doesn't work as advertised at WWDC.

No operating system is finished at launch. I haven't noticed any issues with mail personally but I wouldn't be surprised if "some" people where having issues. That's the nature of new OS launches. Some people experience issues while others don't.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I personally haven't had any problems so far. In fact, this has been the most stable .0 release of OS X since I can remember.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
iMessages works flawlessly between my iPad, iPhone and MacBook.

Mail had to upgrade its DB before I opened it - but it is working as expected.
Dictation works well - if you pronounce your words correctly.

I think you're having issues from a bad upgrade?

Try a clean install.

All of these work great for me as well. I had dictation type out the wrong word only once but it works better than I thought it ever would. iMessages works as advertised as well.

I think Apple did a great job on ML.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
True words. Memories fade away way too fast for people. Hint hint politics.

They can't be true words. Right in this thread we have someone who personally knows Steve Jobs would not have released ML and that Apple's QC has slipped since SJ died. All you people who have not had problems must be delusional.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Having absolutely no problems with OS X 10.8.0 over here, everything is working as advertised.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
iMessages still has the occasional glitch but it's improved from the beta.

Save that, I've experienced no issues whatsoever with ML after doing my in-place install. It's noticeably snappier on my nearly-three-year-old MacBook Pro, and I'm loving the new features and functionalities. I've also not rebooted since installing it on the first day. (Well, at least not since figuring out my 2008-vintage beta of Shadow.app was causing issues, and removing it.) Runs like a hose.

Try the clean install. If that doesn't fix it, consider the apps and load-on-boot utilities and extensions you are using; there might be something loading that's simply not compatible with ML.

----------

....OHHH wait!!!!!

Paraless and VM fusion both do not work on 10.8!

They need updates to work.

Can't speak for Parallels users, but VMWare Fusion's "update" is simply their current version, 4.1.3. It's been available for a while, since well before the Mountain Lion Gold Master IIRC. Anyway, it's a free update to Fusion 4.x users.

Virtual machine platforms reach deep into the bowels of your computer, so it's no surprise that a major OS update necessitates the latest version.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
The only problem I have with Mountain Lion is that it could just as well have been a 10.7.X release. But what can you expect for 16 euros.

I hope 10.9 will be a bigger update.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I upgraded last night. Haven't had many problems. Safari crashed twice on me, so I sent in the reports. Considering this is 10.8 and Safari 6.0 it's gonna be first release buggy.

Notification Center doesn't quite work all the time. Sometimes you have to reset the preference you picked for. I'm sure they'll work it out.

As for iMessages. Yeah, it's a bit annoying if you have an Mac, iPad and iPhone with the same e-mail address set up to receive messages at. But you can do two things. Either turn off Messages on your iOS devices or change the e-mail address they received messages at. I've got two @Gmail accounts and my @Me.com address. Each of my three devices has individuals ones and it works out fine. The whole carrying over a conversation from your iMac to your iOS device to me is a novelty. But I can see how people would find it useful.

Sounds like a lot of your problems are simply preferences that got mucked up during upgrade. I'd advise a clean install, which I will probably do once 10.8.1. comes through the pipe.

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
I had ZERO issues with my upgrade! Super pleased. People that are complaining about ML not being a huge upgrade need to realize that it was only $19.99!!!!!! What a bargain.

Oh...the VIP mail is awesome and easy to set up.

----------

I've had the beta iMessage for awhile and haven't had issues between my MBP, iPhone and iPad.

----------

All you people who have not had problems must be delusional.

I guess this is a joke?

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
All computers have problems and its expected. I'll be dead before we ever have world peace, a fountain of youth, or any bug free computer (regardless of mac, pc, or linux, or whatever).

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Just from the App Store reviews, 76% of Mountain Lion users have rated this OS 5 out of 5. I think I'd call that a success. :D

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
First off, Steve has passed on and NOTHING Apple does will affect him at his grave. People should drop this notion. Its insulting to both the living and the dead

Second, a lot of the issues reported on this board are down to people who previously had unrelated issues (cobwebs) with their systems that have now surfaced by upgrading the OS. Thats not to say there aren't bugs of course there are but not as bad as people are making out

I've been using ML and it has been 98% flawless for me. iMessage works, Airplay works, Twitter integration works, Mail works, iCal works, Safari works, Dictation works, Notifications works etc and it is faster and better than Lion ever was.

App store reviews have also been very positive for the most part. Therefore i ask; if i'm not complaining, and 1200 or so users from the App store are happy with ML, does that mean the OS is terrible and shouldn't have shipped...or more logically many of the complaints are simply down to User Error?

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I love when people say to take a look at all the complaints on the Apple support forums. If anyone went there and looked at those forums and took them at face value, they would think Apple is a failure at everything they make.

Support forums for any company are usually not a representation of the quality.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England

Steve was very much alive when Final Cut Pro X was released, not to mention MobileMe.

Billywiz1307

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Knutsford, UK
You're right cep, but you'll never get any sense out of this lot on here, it seems if you aren't sycophantically bulling up Apple, you're some sort of heretic. I also bought into mac about 3 yrs ago, when there used to be colour in Finder and iTunes until control freak Jobs turned it off. I also like Apple gear but sometimes they do some very illogical things and outsiders like me can't understand why for example iTunes on the iPad is not the same as iTunes in OS X, on the iPad it's really iTunes Store etc. iTunes is nothing to do with just tunes, it's video, tv shows, podcast, books you name it. ichat was brilliant, FaceTime was not as good and now Messages is irritatingly illogical and not thought through and there is no 'manual' as such from Apple. In fact, that's my main criticism about Apple, they bring out great products and an upgrade like ML with allegedly 200 new features and you're left to stumble your way around blindly trying to discover them and how they are supposed to work.
Rant over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.