"Steve Jobs needs to put Windows Mobile on the iPhone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kinderhauz, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Kinderhauz macrumors member

I'm an investment junkie, and while making the rounds of my favorite business news websites, I came across this video:

http://www.thestreet.com/video/10419419/index.html?puc=newshome

This guy says that Steve Jobs needs to license Windows Mobile for the iPhone or he will never conquer the enterprise market.

Now . . . since this guy has a video of himself on the internet and everything, I assume he must know what he's talking about. But frankly, I don't get it for a few reasons:

1. Isn't the main reason businesses like Blackberry and Windows Mobile the email system? And doesn't the new iPhone software support Microsoft Exchange, making this a moot point?

2. Is an iPhone with Windows Mobile really an iPhone? Seems to me like it'd just be another run-of-the-mill "smartphone" in an iPhone case.

3. The reason people are crazy about the iPhone is because of its revolutionary multi-touch user interface. Isn't OS X the only operating system as of now that supports this technology?

4. What about the stuff that people already LIKE on the iPhone? What about the thousands of developers itching to get to work writing applications for the iPhone with the SDK? What about the 100 million dollars of venture capital that will be supporting those development efforts? Does Steve Jobs tell them all, "Nevermind guys, we are going to Windows Mobile"?

What do you guys think?

2. PilotWoo macrumors regular

Thats the funniest thing i've read today.

Perhaps thats what SJ will be announcing at WWDC?

3. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

This guys clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

"Has to get blackberry on there"....?

Who is Gary Krakow anyway? And why is he a source of knowledge on the mobile phone industry?

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I agree with you. This guy has totally missed, EVERYTHING. This was a good chuckle for me this morning. Thanks for sharing.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That bloke is crazy. With ActiveSync support it can essentially do the same things as Windows Mobile as far as Exchange sync is concerned. Blackberry, maybe. Blackberry Connect exists for Windows Mobile devices already, I'm sure they could do it for iPhone, the question would be if Apple would allow it since it would need greater access to the OS than SDK apps are permitted.

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ok, this is basically saying 'Ooo, now that Microsoft has exclusively licensed the active-sync protocol for Apple's used with the iPhone OS, *GASP* ,I think I know what their next move will be!' ... yeah right.

iPhone run's Leopard under the hood, why in the world would steve license Windows for it?

+1

R-Fly

7. Kinderhauz thread starter macrumors member

8. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Windows Mobile it the last thing the iPhone needs. i was at the Verizon store yesterday playing with a couple phones with Windows Mobile. Totally not impressed. :rolleyes:

9. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

grandpa seems to have started drinking again... :(

10. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

Well that made me laugh for a while, made my day.

Next we will have windows on a mac!

11. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

New with iPhone 2.0....Bootcamp for iPhone! Ability to boot in either Windows Mobile or OS X...wouldn't that be thrilling. :rolleyes: wow

12. rayward macrumors 68000

If you think that, I have some V1@GRA to sell you.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I can foresee a different iPhone OS scenario, but not Windows Mobile.

Once Google releases the Android source code, I think we're going to see ports to lots of existing phones. (There's already been a rough demo, with Android running on top of WM, but that's not what I'm talking about.)

Already there are millions of jailbroken iPhones... which Apple does not support. I think that's a mistake.

Now imagine Android running on the iPhone as well as millions of former WM devices (which gives you tons of hardware and carrier choices).

Can't you just visualize lots of applications that don't need Apple's family approval stamp? Or Apple's 30% take? Or Apple's multitasking lockdown?

I think there very well could be a thriving Android community separate from the OSX / WM one, but using the same hardware.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What a load of crap. That will never happen.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, but I just fell out of my chair laughing so hard! :p

I'm tired of hearing about the NEXT iPhone killer, they're all a bunch of "iPhonies" as someone mentioned in an article a few days ago.

The last thing we need to hear is that Windows Mobile would be a wonderful addition to the Apple iPhone. Go ahead and shoot me now! Step-away from that glass pipe...:eek:

16. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

He's using something other than a glass pipe if he thinks that's a good idea...