Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the official ceremony for the 88th Academy Awards on February 28, this morning the nominations for all 24 categories at the Oscars were announced at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills. Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs managed to net a few nominations of its own during the event, including: Kate Winslet for Best Support Actress and Michael Fassbender for Best Actor. Notably, Aaron Sorkin wasn't nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.

steve-jobs-oscars-800x481.jpg

Today's announcement comes after the film won two Golden Globes earlier in the week, one for Kate Winslet in the Best Support Actress category and another for Aaron Sorkin's screenplay. During the ceremony, Sorkin commented on his hope for these awards to overshadow the film's poor box office performance, considering the high amount of critical praise Steve Jobs has received in the face of its lackluster draw.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Nominated for Best Supporting Actress and Best Actor Oscars

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I still haven't seen the movie yet, it was only in theaters in my area for like 2 weeks. lol
Joking aside, 2015 was probably the worst year for film in recent memory. Seriously, I am used to going to see dozens of films a year in theaters. Only a handful worth seeing this year.
Martian was probably my favorite.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Terrible year for the Oscars.

I kind of liked Mad Max for what it tried to do. It was interesting.
I really liked The Martian.

But Best Picture? Are you kidding me???

Reactions: mojolicious

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Still waiting for the netflix release to see this one. I am sure the acting was good, but this is just not the type of movie that is worth going to the theater for; this could be quality home theater material.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
We need to remember that the Academy Awards are intended to recognize films that have an impact on society and further the craft of film-making. Like Time Magazine's "Person of The Year" it is not supposed to be a popularity contest (think Golden Globe). That said, 'Steve Jobs' isn't worthy of the award.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
"Steve Jobs," the movie wasn't nominated. The actors in the movie were. The difference being the acting, not the story, direction or production, of Fassbender and Winslet being recognized -- probably because they amiably salvaged a movie that should never have been made. Sony had the right idea when they trashed it. Too bad for Universal going dumpster diving.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I still haven't seen the movie yet, it was only in theaters in my area for like 2 weeks. lol
Joking aside, 2015 was probably the worst year for film in recent memory. Seriously, I am used to going to see dozens of films a year in theaters. Only a handful worth seeing this year.
Martian was probably my favorite.
And yet all kinds of box office records were set.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
It was a good as an entertaining, well scripted and well acted movie.
It just wasn't very accurate and was pretty negative towards Steve Jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Such a good movie, don't get why people like to make fun of it so much. It doesn't even get into his personal life that much, illness, wife etc. I think it was done in good taste, and Michael and Kate both did such a good job.

I wouldn't mind a Jobs movie that showed him, warts and all. We all know there is plenty of material to make a couple of movies.
What I didn't want to see is this fairy tale 3 act play where...
John Sculley is waiting in some room to talk (everyone decides that 5 minutes before he goes in front of millions is the best time to talk to him).
People lined up like a book signing to read paragraphs about what is wrong with him.
The mousey ex-girlfriend that guilts him for money before every important presentation.
How the daughter was used as this plot device. Show her in the first act, and end it, I don't care anymore.
If I recall from the book, the events leading up to the 1st iPhone announcement is much more interesting then the iPod.

I would have taken a Scorcese Wolf of Wall Street like, in your face, warts and all, this is how it was look at his rise, fall and rise.

Its no surprise everyone passed on this in the first place.
That being said, the main actors were great.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
All that moaning from Laurene Powell about the movie didn't get her far. This was the most accurate depiction of ol' Steve yet; an angry, egotistical mean spirited jerk. Hence the Oscar.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Why do people complain that the "Movie" is not based on actual event, on exactly how they happened.

This is not a documentary.

Its about entertainment, if I want to read the exact facts, I'll research themselves. I cannot remember any movie that has been based on actual event to have stayed true to the story, Hollywood always makes changes to spice up the entertainment value.

Anyway, best movie about jobs that I have seen so far, it was actually about his fall and comeback, hence the choice of launches, clever.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Was not a bad movie , don't understand the hate it's recieved on MR.

Two reasons:

It didn't paint Jobs as a saint, so the blind Jobs disciples demonized it as heresy.

It didn't paint Jobs as the anti-christ, so the blind Jobs haters thought it was a puff piece.

As for myself, I haven't seen it yet. I plan on watching it when I can rent it or watch it on Netflix. I would imagine it will be fairly entertaining, and a decent investment of two hours of my life. But I can tell you right now that what I have heard from those who have seen it, and seen myself (namely the statement made by Rogen that, "the (Mac) OS was stolen") is enough for me to discount the movie as a fiction loosely based on Jobs' life.

Reactions: Alchemist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.