Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

040913-72363307_0537746b83.jpg
Photo of Apple Store in Sendai, Japan by naok
Apple CEO Steve Jobs is reported to have sent a message to Apple staff regarding the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan. The contents of the email were posted to Chihouban.com (via Mac Otakara), and MacRumors had also received a copy of it independently. The email was said to have been sent to all Apple employees. To Our Team in Japan,

We have all been following the unfolding disaster in Japan. Our hearts go out to you and your families, as well as all of your countrymen who have been touched by this tragedy.

If you need time or resources to visit or care for your families, please see HR and we will help you. If you are aware of any supplies that are needed, please also tell HR and we will do what we can to arrange delivery.

Again, our hearts go out to you during this unimaginable crisis.
Please stay safe.
Steve and the entire Executive TeamApple has set up Red Cross donations through iTunes, and delayed plans to launch the iPad 2 in Japan due to the recovery efforts. We also previously reported on Digg founder Kevin Rose's email correspondence with a friend in Japan relaying Apple's efforts to support its customers and employees in the aftermath of the earthquake.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Offers Support to Apple Employees Affected by Earthquake

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Its the least what they should do. In all honesty I would like to see Apple do more like making some sort of direct donation, matching customer donations or similar. Its not like Apple couldn't afford to do it. The number of people they are helping with this effort is low. However, its better then nothing.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's good to see Apple doing whatever they can to help. This is one of the worst disasters I can ever think of. Massive earthquake, huge tsunami, and multiple possible nuclear meltdowns. I also heard that some volcano there is going off now. And then there's the potential economic collapse. Those poor people. If I woke up tomorrow and they were showing footage of Godzilla rampaging through Tokyo, I would not be surprised. What else could go wrong there?

Donate if you can, otherwise just pray for the best. Apple knows that California sits on the same ring of fire. It's only a matter of time.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
And there are so many who think he doesn't have a heart.

I'm sure people will find many things to criticize though.

Cue the haters in 3, 2, 1....

I'm sure everyone will criticize and hate on him because he's only helping Apple Employees.

He has heart.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Its the least what they should do. In all honesty I would like to see Apple do more like making some sort of direct donation, matching customer donations or similar. Its not like Apple couldn't afford to do it. The number of people they are helping with this effort is low. However, its better then nothing.

Who's to say that Apple hasn't (privately). Are you expecting a Press Release stating exactly how much Apple has contributed?

Last edited:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Who's to say that Apple hasn't (privately). Are you expertly a Press Release stating exactly how much Apple has contributed?

Yes. There are a ton of people on here who wouldn't believe it unless it was written on a press release.

And after they read said press release, they would undoubtedly criticize the amount. Whatever it was.

nishioka

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
In all honesty I would like to see Apple do more like making some sort of direct donation, matching customer donations or similar. Its not like Apple couldn't afford to do it.

Sure is easy to make decisions when it's not your money, isn't it? :)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"Billie" already has done much more for mankind than Apple and Steve Jobs will do in 10.000 lives ...

Probably not worth a reply, but I'd like to know what. Yes, Bill and his wife have their foundation, which is excellent and deserves applause. But you mentioned Apple here, so I assume you also mean Microsoft. What good has Microsoft done that Apple hasn't topped?

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Who's to say that Apple hasn't (privately). Are you expecting a Press Release stating exactly how much Apple has contributed?

There is no logic in what you are saying. Apple is making public their efforts of trying to help their own staff so I don't see why they would hide their efforts of helping the rest of the population.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
That is how an employer should care for their employees. That is a good example of positive employee treatment. I'm also glad to see Paypal and Ebay doing their thing as usual too. I think I will donate off my next sale.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
There is no logic in what you are saying. Apple is making public their efforts of trying to help their own staff so I don't see why they would hide their efforts of helping the rest of the population.

There are plenty of companies and major corporations who don't put together a press release every time they donate to charity.

If they released a statement saying they donated 20 million dollars everyone would say they could afford much more. They are d***ed if they do and d***ed if they don't.

Actually it is my money. I have investments in AAPL and I have made personal donations.

Quite a stretch. Why don't you stand up in your next shareholder meeting and demand they donate more money?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

I've read that a lot of wealthy people and big companies donate anonymously or keep it out of the press out of fear of being swamped with requests for donations to other charities and groups. Regardless, nobody is inside Jobs' head and nobody can discuss his motivations or what he does privately with any authority. Personally, I'm always happy to see any company treat its employees like human beings instead of resources, so good for Apple.

paulmoscow

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
Yes, Bill and his wife have their foundation, which is excellent and deserves applause.
It's another brilliant business idea from Gates: extort money from Buffett or Chinese billionaires to save his own wealth. And of course every little step is advertised, "Look at me, I'm a world's top philanthropist."

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009

Don't worry, any such 'press release' will no doubt be 'reported' via John Gruber or Walt Mossberg...

It was a good gesture - but if SJ had written it, wouldn't it just have been:

"Our sincere sympathies. Contact HR for supplies.

Steve
Sent from my iPad 2"

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I've read that a lot of wealthy people and big companies donate anonymously or keep it out of the press out of fear of being swamped with requests for donations to other charities and groups. Regardless, nobody is inside Jobs' head and nobody can discuss his motivations or what he does privately with any authority. Personally, I'm always happy to see any company treat its employees like human beings instead of resources, so good for Apple.

This, we just don't know if Apple have donated or not and it would be wrong to speculate on that. It is good to see them treating the employees like humans and offering anything they can to help.

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Apple doesn't make it public. Apple didn't make any statement or press release or anything. It's some of the Apple's employees sharing the contents of an internal email.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007

Apple is not making their effort either public or hidden. They did not have a press release on the email to employees. It was simply leaked by some of the employees. In the same way, Apple did not announce or hide any other relief effort. Perhaps they have donated a large sum of money, perhaps not, but you have to admit that we simply don't know everything they did or did not do. So, please stop judging others and think about what you can do to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.