Steve Jobs Replied to Me - Re: Horrible Networking Stack in iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacVault, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

I can't beleive Steve-o actually responded to me this morning. And within 3 minutes! Here is the email with his response:

2. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Steve Jobs is right. Now tell Steve to put his little pinky over the "sweet" spot and see if it toasts any other phone lol.

3. dstedman macrumors member

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

So does the iPhone toast just every other phone, or all the smartphones on the market?

I think I'll take one of every other one. :D

5. xenuprime macrumors 6502

That engineer should watch out for throwing stars.

6. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I was waiting for this to turn into a meme.

7. rajjkamal macrumors newbie

Steve is absolutely right. Your engineer doesn't know what he is talking about. His comment about 'bad networking stack' is a bad as the analogy he made to 'pulling a tooth with painkiller'. Painkillers are not used during an extraction, anesthetics are.

8. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

is it becoming more common for Steve to respond to every email now? there are at least three other threads regarding responses from Jobs this week...can you post a picture of your inbox?

9. aohus macrumors 68000

for cryin out loud, he's not single handedly replying to these emails. he's getting help.

10. xenuprime macrumors 6502

I got a reply from SJ today too. He said he was stuck in Nigeria for some reason and wanted me to wire him some money for a plane ticket back. he promised me a free iphone every year (and I get to test prototypes) for the rest of my life.

What should I do?

11. newcronos macrumors regular

The engineer probably didn't mean this, but while anesthetics are used for extracting teeth, people do take painkillers for it in the next couple of days. So in this case instead of it's painful just while it's happening (using his iPhone), he basically claimed that he could feel the pain long afterwards ("why the hell did I spend my money on this pos" :D)

12. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Clarification

For the record, my network engineer was referring to the wifi performance, not the cell performance.

13. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Pic of message attached.

Attached Files:

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It would probably be more helpful if your networking engineer friend were more specific than "the implementation of the networking stack in the iPhones is about as bad as they come—absolutely horrible engineering."

What's bad about it? What makes it "horrible engineering?" Without specifics, it just sounds like you're flamebating the sjobs account.

15. kwajaffa macrumors newbie

Really? Steve's here?! That makes two of us :D

16. xenuprime macrumors 6502

Wow! Are you a prince who has been cut off from his royal treasury?:D

17. kwajaffa macrumors newbie

Lol! I wish! :cool:

18. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

So, your friend says that he has an iPhone yet that it has horrible network engineering? Hmmm. Can't be that bad then if he refuses to switch from it!

19. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, my Cisco engineer is more specific below:
    ======================

20. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Oh SNAP! Uncle STEVE got OWNED! :eek:

BTW, Cisco engineers tend to know their stuff. I went to a pretty good engineering school, and the EE/CMPE's were lining up to try to get interviews with them.

21. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Yes I agree! I have had many first hand direct dealings with Cisco Certified Engineers and they do indeed know their stuff more specifically they are the what I consider top notch white glove support;)

22. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey, After I sent Steve Jobs the details as seen in post # 19 above, this morning I received the email quoted below. Damn! Is Steve really dealing with my emails personally? Hard to believe, but way cool!

23. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

OMG; Steve has got a sweet spot!

24. ivan300 macrumors member

CCIE = Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert
    I wouldn't call them engineers but they do know their stuff

PS: Im a CCNP :p

25. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

The Cisco guy with the complaint further explained to me how he has solidly demonstrated that the iPhone will not upload more than about 6Mbps on TCP over wifi, whereas UDP works fine. Above the 6Mbps tcp he shows at least 50% packet drop every time. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, Apple's Vice President of Core OS Software Engineering, Simon P., keeps emailing me asking me to help him get in touch with my Cisco guy to help address his iPhone complaint. Cisco guy spoke with an attorney who told him to watch out - that this may be some type of trap... if apple feels threatened they could sue Cisco guy for knocking their product, and if Apple finds out who the contact is it could even lead to the pulling of a certain app from the App Store - severely affecting a certain app dev (not the Cisco guy).

Any thoughts?